Saiga 223 to Galil...finished...for now

She's a really sweet looking rilfe. CONGRATS!!

:super: . . . :super: . . . :super: . . . :super:

Thanks! Feels great and looks great, too! I can't wait to move out of CA so I can get rid of the maglock (and bullet button) and also get rid of the 10 round fake galil magazine...still, I'm happy with it.

Anyone thinking about converting, just do it...I did it in 4 hours and I have only basic skills. Anyone who can change their oil, add RAM to their computer or do any basic mechanical work can handle it!

You should fabricate a handguard liner like I did for the Galil HG. Lots of room in there. I used aluminum duct work, I cut a rectangle the width of the interior, folded it double and made a double U shaped trough that goes from the bottom of the top piece on one side around the bottom and up the other side to the bottom of the top plate on the other side. It works as well as a KVar handguard, if not better. As soon as I get my push buttom Romy folder tomorrow, I will post pics of the handguard. I amd drilling and tapping the front retainer at the 4 and 8 oclock position to put set screws in that engage dimp;es in the barrel. That will keep the retainer from moving forward under recoil and make it unnecessary to over tighten the retainer.

Good job!

Thanks for the photos, always good to see photos!

Just wondering, if the mag is fixed, how do they load it?

Sorry to admit it, but for now I am in KKKKKKalifornia...only for now...so you can skip the explanation, or read on...

In this "state" you can't hvae more than 10 rounds in your mag (there are some exceptions, but let's just stick wtih the basics)

If your rifle has any "evil" features (pistol grip, flash suppressor, folding or collapsible stock, fore grip, etc) it is considered an illegal assault weapon...unless

the magazine is "fixed"

the law says the mag is fixed if it takes a tool to remove it in order to reload...and the law specifies that a bullet or the tip of a bullet is a tool...so there is a "maglock" shroud over the mag release that forces the shooter to use a bullet, key, pen, stick, whatever to manipulate the release...

so, with a "fixed" mag, I can have all the "evil" features...except....(holy christ, here we go again)

the overall length in the shortest configuration can be no less than 30 inches...if I folded the tapco folding stock, my saiga is 28.5 inches long...so I disassembled the mechanism, added a bushing and reassembled...now it won't fold so, voila, it's legal...

To sum it up, KKKKKKKKalifornia sucks, I can't wait to retire and move, but I will comply with the law, because that's what good citizens do...if I don't like the law in CA, I can (and will) move...