Economic Bipod?

I was doing a little searching around on the forum to see what would be a good bipod to put on my newly converted saiga but the Harris's ones recommended are too pricey for me. Especially after the cost of the conversion, buying 3 surefire mags, getting a new hand guard, and getting the krebs peep sight and xs tritium front post. Adding another $100 wouldn't go over so well on the wifey. So what would be a good economic bipod that would get the job done and be a decent option? I have the sgm tactical tri-rail, so something that mounts to that would be nice so I could at least justify getting it.( Speaking of which, does a vertical front grip make a good addition?) Thanks! I'm really digging my saiga. . . hopefully it won't cause a divorce. :)

Edited by JT1911

I use a Grip Pod GPS-02. It is what our military is currently using. It has stainless steel supports in the legs. They retail at $100 but can be found on ebay for about $50. There are lots of Chinese knock offs though. Just ask the seller first if its a legit one. They also have a video on their web page about identifying a real one. Its light weight and very durable.

4192273966_eeebbf0f3b_o.jpg

Not too bad. Are those both the same bipod product and do they allow the gun to swivel on top? And as far as having that front grip, do you guys like having it verses not when shooting it? I've never shot with one and I could see the benefits in a tactical situation, doing a room to room thing, but as far as shooting it at the range, is it an improvement?

Sorry for so many questions, but also how do I know if a bipod or front grip is compatible with the sgm tri-rail that I have? Thanks guys

From what he said they are not the same. He has the "real" one. The one I have is just an airsoft cheapo.

But it works just fine, and has for about 300 rounds. It doesn't swivel but it has some looseness to it.

Looseness is good in this case. Having one is better then not having one imo.

I wasn't trying to downplay yours at all Datastick, I hope you didn't take it that way. I started my conversion out with many airsoft parts, until I could upgrade to stuff I preferred. I saw his original price range, along with the combination of a surefire rail with a bipod and thought he might be interested since its much cheaper than the MSRP. I think the surefire sits a little to forward for a vert grip somedays. If it seated just 1 - 2 inches back, it would be the ideal position. The tapco might be preferred for the vert position. I also like the 2 for 1 feature. It reduces overall weight by not adding a complete second component. The legs shoot out at lightning speed. I did support test with the gun balancing and bouncing off of one leg. The legs and spring are both still as strong as day one. No wiggle at all at the rail mount.

Thanks for the replies.

So just to make sure I'm following all of this, the tri-rail I have may be a bit too far forward for a vertical grip, but having a vertical grip does help with shooting? I always thought a vertical grip would be helpful in control full-auto or needing a firm grip when swing the front around when clearing rooms or what not. But as far as for plinking, does it help at all with shooting or feel? And just to be sure, the grip pod doesn't swivel but is pretty sturdy. So does having a bi-pod that is able to swivel a big plus? And as far as looking at other bi-pods, how do I know if it is compatible with my sgm tri-rail? Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for the replies.

So just to make sure I'm following all of this, the tri-rail I have may be a bit too far forward for a vertical grip, but having a vertical grip does help with shooting? I always thought a vertical grip would be helpful in control full-auto or needing a firm grip when swing the front around when clearing rooms or what not. But as far as for plinking, does it help at all with shooting or feel? And just to be sure, the grip pod doesn't swivel but is pretty sturdy. So does having a bi-pod that is able to swivel a big plus? And as far as looking at other bi-pods, how do I know if it is compatible with my sgm tri-rail? Thanks again for all the help!

The vert sitting to forward is a personal opinion. You should find a gunshop or buddy w a vert grip on gun to handle for your own opinion on them. I would think you would not want one to swivel since the gun is not a mounted full auto. Easy enough to turn the whole thing which retain a proper sight alignment and accuracy. When standing, I find it is useful to have a vert grip but this is my only rifle with one. My new conversion of a Saiga 7.62 does not. When seated, it will work like a monopod, so I just drop the bipod. These grips allow for use of a 30 round mag while seated or laying flat.

The SGM Tri uses a standard size rail, so most rail mount bipods should fit.

I have never used Command Arms products, so I can not say for certain and that is the first time to see that bipod. I have heard mixed reviews of Command Arms parts from ok to very good. I would suggest searching other posts for command arms and see what reviews you see for their products by users.

That looks costly. Don't worry Greg I'm smarter then getting mad at some one over the net.

My personal opinion is that you don't need to spend $100+ to get one little accessory.

My $20 grip bi pod has worked for a long time. As for the swivel, if the whole gun turns, so does the grip.

Swivel is not a big deal.

Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to go Grip pod and hope to get one at a good price on ebay. Apart from the swivel thing, the only negative I have heard consistently is that they are a bit too heavy and tall, especially for bench shooting. But I think I can live with that.