Help Picking Out My First Saiga 12

Hi, I am planning to buy a new Saiga 12 and would like some help picking out the "right one" to start a project with.

I have seen several different base models of Saiga 12's, such as different barrel lengths, fixed sights, adjustable sights, some come from Germany (?) etc.

I plan on making it with a standard barrel length, HK sights, and folding stock. Aside from that, I am not sure what else I plan to put on it.

So what should I be looking for to make this process as smooth as possible?

• Like 2

If you plan to shoot the gun, my first piece of advice will always be - no matter what you put on the outside - make sure you take care of the inside first.

This means doing your homework on the new internals you will be installing in the receiver, how the internals are installed, and making sure the gas system and receiver components are in balance so that you have a reliable and capable firearm, that will go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Before you think about what kind of sights, handguard or barrel length you want, you need to be sure about your intended use for your weapon. If it is for self defense or general security use, you will most likely want a standard 19" barrel, and a good collapsible or folding stock set up. For personal defense - money that your are considering putting into 300 yard sights, might be better spent on tac light, or a top notch stock.

Most self defense encounters take place within a 7 to 20 yard range. The IZ-109 factory sights are more than adequate for fast, reliable target acquisition within that range. Remember that this is first and foremost, a semi auto, box fed scattergun, originally designed for police, military, and security purposes, and capable of delivering overwhelming firepower, at blistering speed to a general target area. The need to sight in a 2" by 2" inch group at 100 yards is non existent for these guns unless you are customizing the weapon for target shooting, or hunting, or just want the "look" for aesthetic purposes.

If you intend to hunt at ranges greater thant 50 yards, or shoot trap and skeet, you will most likely want to go with a longer barrel, 22" or 24", have the gun biased for the ammo you prefer, and possibly choked for the specific purpose you intend. In this circumstance, you may want to leave the gun in its original "sporter" configuration with mods and customization for trigger pull, sighting, aesthetics, and ammo preference.

If you wish to do your own work there are extensive technical write ups in the technical section specific to the Saiga 12 platform. If you wish to have a professional do the work for you, there are a number of excellent builders available who can build to your needs and specifications.

A couple of tips... always test fire your gun with a range of ammo before you begin the process of conversion. If you discover your gun is not cycling to your satisfaction, contact Cadiz Gun Works (in the business section) to have the required warranty work done to the gun at minimal, or no cost to you.

You are likely to get all kinds of advice regarding after market performance products that you should purchase for your gun. Some of these may be useful to you, but first take advantage of warranty service to make sure your gun is cycling at the factory's base line level for optimum function.

Take all unsolicited advice to be worth what you paid for it. Do your own homework, and make your decisions based upon good research, bearing in mind that a great deal of well meaning advice may be based upon widely accepted conventional wisdoms, and not upon fact.

You have chosen well. The S12 platform is one of the most versatile, customizable, and potentially reliable 12 gauge firearms on the planet. Think of your new purchase as a "diamond in the rough". From here on out, the level and combination of purpose, aesthetics, reliability, and performance is entirely up to you!

Good luck!

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h49RGFgQk90

Never forget... This is potentially the badest ass SHOTGUN on the face of the planet!

If it's done right nothing even comes close....

The "Road Warrior" Lone Star S12 build demonstrated in this video is now owned by a private collector in the great state of Texas. The owner shoots the gun regularly, with great enthusiasm!

• Like 3

I went with the 19 inch barrel .I then read just about every post in the entire forum . Then went out on the net and read for another weeks . I have now placed the orders for my conversion parts and 922r compliance parts . I 'm pretty familiar with the Kalashnikov design in 7.62.39 but this is a new platform for me . My plans are for pure fun and hog hunting .Keep asking these guys around here there is a wealth of knowledge to be had .GOOD LUCK .

• Like 2