How to check head space of ak?

I have the gauges coming for the 7.62x39 and was wondering how one goes about checking the head space, is it different for a semi auto than it is for a bolt action?

I heard that on a bolt action you have to remove a few things,basically strip the bolt! but I was wondering if a semi like an ak is real simple like just dropping in the field gauge and allowing the bolt to close.

Any tips would be appreciated by this noob :)

Edited by liver eater

Its a AK... It don't need no fucking headspacing, cleaning or whatever else primadonna bullshit... Load, fire & repeat.

Look at Brownells/Midway USA, they have cartridge type gauges, insert in chamber and there ya're.

Its a AK... It don't need no fucking headspacing, cleaning or whatever else primadonna bullshit... Load, fire & repeat.

Look at Brownells/Midway USA, they have cartridge type gauges, insert in chamber and there ya're.

Thanks Chile, so I don't have to worry about the extractor? or anything?

Do I do it with the recoil spring in or just by hand?

Take the dust cover off, leave everything else as is, insert gage into chamber, release bolt by hand or let it fly, and check to see if it closes on gage.

Go gage

http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=196171

No-Go gage

http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=548202

Edited by ChileRelleno

Just an update for anyone who was interested in checking head space of there ak type gun, the way to do it is remove the dust cover and recoil spring, and the piston, take bolt out of carrier and put bolt in rails by hand moving it forward and rotating it into lugs all the way it will go, turn rifle upside down and note the position of the bolt when it is fully rotated and locked in, then pull out bolt and fit field gauge under extractor, and again rotate bolt in by hand and turn gun upside down and look through mag well at position of bolt, it should be in a different position because it cannot rotate into full lock up in lugs which means it is good to go. If it goes right back to the same position the rifle has excessive head space and should not be fired My mak 90 was in good shape, I am glad I have the gauge to test any 7.62x39 gun I get.

It's a good feeling when checking a used gun to not have to guess and always wonder in the back of your mind.

Edited by liver eater