Finally done with conversion after about 2 years...

Started my conversion about 2 years ago and went as money and time would permit. Finished threading the barrel a few days ago. All that's left is to add an ACE folding mechanism (eventually), UTG Quick Detach Side Mount, red dot sight or scope, touch up the end of the barrel, fill the receiver holes and paint a few of the markings on the receiver. I'm happy with it.:super: Probably going to sell all of the Master Molder mags eventually. I have a stockpile of steel mags and a couple other polymers. I also have another project in mind for this Saiga, but we'll see what happens...

Parts Used so far:

Tapco G2 Single Hook FCG (might switch to double hook)

Tapco Retainer plate

Tapco SAW Pistol Grip

Tapco Intrafuse Vertical Grip

Ram STG Trigger Guard

SureFire (SGM) Tri-Rail Handguard (Generation 2)

DPH Arms Phantom Flash Hider

Tromix Stock (might switch to MAA aluminum stock)

ACE Internal Receiver Block

post-7122-12717758961817_thumb.jpg

post-7122-12717759340566_thumb.jpg

post-7122-1271775961865_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

I have some questions, though.

what's holding on the break? Loctite. What is the internal receiving block used for, is it for the stock you are running?

Finally, are you using the BHO? If so, what did you have to do?

The flash hider is on extremely tight without any loctite at the moment. I had to use a screwdriver through the slots of the flash hider to tighten it enough to index perfectly. I don't see it moving, but I planned to add some locking compound to it after I paint the barrel shroud and repaint the flash hider to match the rifle. Yes, the internal receiver block is for the stock I used and it works with a few other stocks as well. It's not needed for standard AK-type stocks that use the rear trunion to bolt onto. I'm not using the BHO at the moment, as I have no real need for it. There are no rifle ranges around here so the BHO isn't any kind of requirement right now, other than expensive country clubs which I'll never pay to be a part of. Installation of the BHO isn't hard, you just need to remove some material from the hammer sleeve so that the BHO can be dropped back in. I plan to modify my BHO before reinstalling it.

BlackLs1Ttop - Yeah, I started it about 2 years ago with a basic conversion (PG, FCG, standard stock) and have switched parts and added and removed different shit little by little every since then to get it looking how I wanted it. Just never threaded the barrel til this past weekend.

Very nice. I'm also wanting to thread my barrel but am a little hesitant.

Just out of curiosity why do you want to go to the double hook trigger?

From everything I've read it won't really give you any added performance or reliability.

Good work.

Thanks. Threading the barrel was actually very easy. I used a $10.00 tubing cutter from Lowes (pics HERE)to cut the shroud and the Die & TAT kit from DPHArms.com to thread it. It took maybe 10 minutes to cut the shroud and 5 minutes to thread the barrel. No problems at all. I just thought about switching to double hook for the hell of it. I know the single hook will never break or anything, but it's not hard to add an extra notch to the trigger hole for the extra hook, and they're the same price. Not going to do it anytime soon.

No need to apologize for taking so long in converting your Saiga. I also took two years to convert mine. I had some of the conversion parts but was afraid to go ahead and do the conversion. I built a Yugo AK which gave me the skill to convert the Saiga. Mine can take either AK or Saiga mags.