So I took my S20 out yesterday for the first time, using Federal bulk pack 2 3/4" with the 70mm mag. It throws the empties a nice distance on setting 2 until I get a stovepipe. I'm guessing it's just because the previous owner only put about 200 shells through it and I'm on my way through my first 50 so it just needs to be broken in some more. Weirdest thing though was that it wasn't just a stovepipe. The bolt had stripped another round and was going into battery...but the ejected shell rim was caught under the extractor's "claw" (or whatever you want to call it). When I'd go to pull the bolt back to pull out the jammed empty the new shell would come back as it was held by the other "claw" on the bolt, but wouldn't eject because the "extractor's claw" hadn't gripped the fresh shell's rim. I'd have to drop the mag and so on to clear it, whatever.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of issue before. The S20 is a 2000 EAA import that is still in its neutered configuration. I'm thinking maybe doing the conversion (which was already planned, just wanted to make sure it didn't blow up from the seller) will help?

Let me know what you guys think. I can go out again and get pics if needed, but it's kind of self explanatory, sometimes the ejected hull's rim gets locked into the extractor's claw while the bolt still strips a fresh shell from the mag.

Thanks guys.

Eric

I too have a very early EAA import S20.

Converting it probably won't help; not sure how that would affect the gas system or the recoil spring. All you're doing is making adjustments to the placement of the FCG. What's helped me with the 100 round valu-packs is simply subbing in a 1911 recoil spring. Just don't use buck, slugs or high brass stuff with that recoil spring on there. That absolutely allows my gun to cycle ANYTHING cheap. With the normal recoil spring in it will cycle pretty much everything, hanging up only on the DIRT cheap 100 round value packs. Come to think of it, it seems to hang up more often on the low brass shells with aluminum "brass" than anything else. I have zero issues with STS or AA shells.

Have gone to using the high brass el cheapo demo loads myself. Oddly no problems with those with normal recoil springs on the buckshot gas position.

Some people will claim that a new gas plug from MD or Gunfixr will help with cheap shells. That was a whole other argument in another thread. Frankly, I just like being able to adjust by hand so I got one anyways. I didn't notice a difference with cheap loads on positions 3 or 4 myself but YMMV.

Go nab a 1911 recoil spring, swap it in for the rear recoil spring and test it out. If it works, you have an at most 10-15 dollar solution to your problem. If not, we have ruled out the recoil spring as a contributing factor.

It isn't the spring, I had a low weight spring (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-204/saiga-reduced-power-recoil/Detail) with me for the chance it wouldn't eat the light stuff. I put it in after the first couple of "extractor grabs" and it obviously ejected the hulls further, but the "extractor grab" still occured every 4th or 5th round, just like with the factory spring installed.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the aluminum bases? It didn't do it with every shell nor did it matter if it was the first shell in the mag or the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Obviously it couldn't happen on the last round because there would not be another fresh shell to follow it. I'm also wondering if the extractor spring is just tight? Gas/recoil isn't a problem so maybe it's clamping down too tightly and some of the aluminum rim is getting snagged? I didn't look at every shell which hung up, but none seemed to be mangled beyond normal marks due to the "claws" on the bolt.

Any weight to my thoughts?

Thanks

Eric

• 1 month later...

Eric,

Take the dust cover off and fire the gun. If you don't get any more stove-pipes, then I think I figured it out. :)

Look at 1:05 in 5rd mag vid vs 3:30 in 8rd mag vid.

5 round factory mag at

8 round prototype mag at

Eric,

Take the dust cover off and fire the gun. If you don't get any more stove-pipes, then I think I figured it out. :)

Look at 1:05 in 5rd mag vid vs 3:30 in 8rd mag vid.

5 round factory mag at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXRLavMZxA

8 round prototype mag at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExFll8oc8g&feature=channel

SN

Thanks for the info but I just needed to break it in a bit more. I guess the first owner did not put the "couple hundred" rounds through it, or mine just needed a bit more explosive TLC before deciding to work.

Thanks for the follow-up though.

Eric