UTG 5th Generation Mount / Tech Sights

First let me start by confessing "I'm a saigaholic" I just can't figure out how I want to dress it up. I flip flop back an forth on the stock, optics etc... I want to figure out which forehand stock to get. Eventually I will have to get one in 5.45 so I don't have to keep moving things around.

Anyway, this weekend I finally got to zero my scope(inexpensive Center Point Adventure Class). It's on a UTG 5th generation mount. My first question is for those of you that one. If you remove it to clean your rifle, will it return to zero? Eventually, I'm want a second mount and I will attach a red dot to it. I want to get it so I can flip flop between the two and not have to zero every time.

My next question is about a the Tech Sight peep sight. How do these work. I have heard good things about them on the SKS. I'm not sure they will even fit the Saiga. Does anyone have experience with them?

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

First let me start by confessing "I'm a saigaholic" I just can't figure out how I want to dress it up. I flip flop back an forth on the stock, optics etc... I want to figure out which forehand stock to get. Eventually I will have to get one in 5.45 so I don't have to keep moving things around.

Anyway, this weekend I finally got to zero my scope(inexpensive Center Point Adventure Class). It's on a UTG 5th generation mount. My first question is for those of you that one. If you remove it to clean your rifle, will it return to zero? Eventually, I'm want a second mount and I will attach a red dot to it. I want to get it so I can flip flop between the two and not have to zero every time.

My next question is about a the Tech Sight peep sight. How do these work. I have heard good things about them on the SKS. I'm not sure they will even fit the Saiga. Does anyone have experience with them?

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

The Tech Sights will work on the Saiga, but they limit your optics mounting choices greatly. A low rise side mount will be blocked from sliding on at the rear by the Tech Sights. A high rise mount like the BP-01 would work, and optics that like the PK-AS that mount to the left of the receiver would work.

The Tech Sights would go best on a weapon that lacks optics. They do give a nice sight picture. But I found them to be too much trouble all around. The Krebs peep sight is a nice option, but I eventually decided to just practice and become skilled with the factory iron sights, which are very capable in the right hands.

The side mount system is imperfect, from what I've read. Most of the mounts will return to zero, with a small amount of variance. They're also fairly heavy.

The lightest, most solid, best mount for red dots is the Ultimak. Consider putting a small, light red dot sight permanently there, then use a POSP or high rise mounted scope whenever you want:

PICT4415.jpg?t=1273450009

PICT4412.jpg?t=1273450036

Edited by Jim Digriz

My eyes are not what they used to be. Sometimes I have a tough time with the sights. I have been debating painting the post with some high visibility sight paint. I have and Lee Enfield, I like the peep sights because they are much easier on my eyes. I would remove the optics when I planned to use the peeps sights.

My eyes are not what they used to be. Sometimes I have a tough time with the sights. I have been debating painting the post with some high visibility sight paint. I have and Lee Enfield, I like the peep sights because they are much easier on my eyes. I would remove the optics when I planned to use the peeps sights.

That wouldn't really work, unless you can obtain a spare recoil spring with guide rods (as well as keeping the factory dust cover handy). The Tech Sights replace the rear recoil guide rod and use a custom dust cover that fits the sights. In order to get the low rise side mount on the gun, you would have to pull the Tech Sights off and replace them with a standard recoil spring, guide rod, and dust cover setup. I don't think you will have enough clearance to put the low rise mount on, put back in the Tech Sights assembly, and put the dust cover back on, otherwise.