Shooting a Walmart's Federal Birdshot on a 24 inch barrel Saiga 12 without modifications.

I had the unit on setting 1 and could have easily gone to setting 2, but I wanted to see the frequency of occurrence. I noticed that it had a FTE on the last round only using the factory magazine. It would catch the brass base with the plastic case poking out at 90°. I was wondering with your collective knowledge that you may direct me to investigate some other aspect of the system. The mag was an obvious place to look, but I did not see anything to explain the pattern. I do not have an alternate mag for comparison yet.

Before you ask, I had my thing-a-ma-jiggee twisted over the watcha-ma-called, and that other thingee firmly clicked in to its locking area with the whatever-it-was pulled up tight before squeezing. Just in case you were thinking of asking.

In all seriousness, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Spence

Mine will also FTE on the last round only with cheap winchester 100 pack birdshot with the factory mag. The bolt is dragging on the follower and slowing the bolt down.

I'am guessing that your gun is a bit overgassed to shoot the light stuff on 1. If you turn the knob to setting two you should not have this problem at all.

The gunfixer gas plug was made to tame overgassed s-12's, I would get one if I was you.

Thanks for the suggestion and the thought process, but I am not sure that the answer is overgassed and the solution is to move from setting 1 to setting 2 as a solution. Setting 2 increases the gas flow and not decrease it.

I have the gas fixr plug already, but have not installed it yet.

If you can shoot Walmart's Federal Birdshot on setting 1 then your gun is overgassed. So when your gun is on 1 and shooting Walmart's Federal Birdshot the bolt it is barely making it all the way back cause their is not enough power/gas on setting 1 to cycle it when dragging on the mag follwer. Put any high brass buck,slug or turkey load in your factory mag and try it on 1 they will all eject. My S-12 and many other's on this site will no cycle even 1 round of Walmart's Federal Birdshot on setting 1 factory or gunfixer plug.

Setting 1 is for high brass, buck slug, turkey.

Setting 2 is for cheap bird shot/target 100 pack's .