Kreb's Custom Aperature Sight - Thoughts?

I really like ghost ring sights; so the Kreb's Custom aperature sight caught my eye. My only concern is how far forward the AK rear sight block is mounted. Does this sight function as a standard ghost ring sight for a tactical shotgun or AR-15? Or is it too far forward and require too much effort to aim?

Does it get in the way of Ultimak mounted co-witness optics?

I really like ghost ring sights; so the Kreb's Custom aperature sight caught my eye. My only concern is how far forward the AK rear sight block is mounted. Does this sight function as a standard ghost ring sight for a tactical shotgun or AR-15? Or is it too far forward and require too much effort to aim?

For AKs, the Krebs sight is the best aperture sight solution. It works well with few downsides. The Tech Sights gives a better sight picture, but has too many other liabilities.

Does it get in the way of Ultimak mounted co-witness optics?

Just lift your head a little higher.

I ultimately went back to the ol' notch and post, but the Krebs sight is a good product.

Jim y did u go back to the original sights?

Decided that they were better combat sights. Easier to track and shoot moving targets, better for low light than the aperture. I also found that, with practice, I could turn in some really tight groups with just the notch and (fat) post.

Jim y did u go back to the original sights?

Decided that they were better combat sights. Easier to track and shoot moving targets, better for low light than the aperture. I also found that, with practice, I could turn in some really tight groups with just the notch and (fat) post.

Jim did you stay with stock front post or xs 24/7?

Jim did you stay with stock front post or xs 24/7?

Stock. I can't take anything wider than the stock post. I count on my always-on red dot for night shooting, though I think I could still get hits at night without it. Wish I could do some night shooting to find out though...

I have a Krebs aperture sight but have only used it 3-4 times, and while I do like it, I must agree with Jim, the standard sights seem more user friendly for all-around use. I'll likely keep it but won't likely be getting another.

A change in sights always causes some problems until you get to the point you no longer even think of it. There is little information to the contrary that aperture is the most accurate for the eye to use but blades get the job done also in skilled hands. With the XS the Krebs works wonderfully and low light is my goal on this particular rifle. I've located a small amount of that radium paint used once on watches, I think its still used somewhere but it really makes the circle of the Krebs stand out.

There is little information to the contrary that aperture is the most accurate for the eye to use...

There's no doubt about that. They make it much easier to be accurate. But I see them as better for the type of shooting that I am much less likely to have to do away from the range (in "real life"), namely, long distance precision work.

There is little information to the contrary that aperture is the most accurate for the eye to use...

There's no doubt about that. They make it much easier to be accurate. But I see them as better for the type of shooting that I am much less likely to have to do away from the range (in "real life"), namely, long distance precision work.

ok i c ur point ... but isnt that the same type of sights that all of our combat troops use?

ok i c ur point ... but isnt that the same type of sights that all of our combat troops use?

OK, but it doesn't follow that they are the best type of sights, just because our military is using them. They also use M-16s and M-4s, but those are inferior combat weapons (in my view) to AKs.

But the key difference here is that I do not face the same sorts of likely scenarios as they do. My most likely scenario is defending against a home invasion, with all shots at less than 25 yards. For me to need to take a shot greater than that distance, things have to have gone completely to hell, and I'm shooting at marauders after a local or general societal collapse. And even in those low probability cases, my shots are likely to be less than 200 yards, and I won't be needing tiny groups; I'd be aiming at torsos.

Edited by Jim Digriz

While I would be first to say the Stoner rifles have their problems, accuracy is not one of them. US troops have used aperture sights since WWI and their accuracy has long been established.

I'm glad we all still agree on that!

;)

I think i finally got a set of contacts that will give me back a decent sight picture and as a backup i Just got my glasses in today can't wait to get to the range and finally get this things sighted in properly.

I think i am going to stick with the Krebs right now as i have always liked the way the peep sight works. Still time will tell.

I'm new to this forum but have had several Saigas, VEPR-K, and other AK variants.

I wanted to add that I just fitted a Mojo AK/SKS apeture sight to my Saiga sporter. It took a little effort to fit it to the rifle. The Mojo pins were slightly larger and it was a small fraction of a millimeter wider where it contacts the recever but this was easy to fix by enlarging the receiver pin holes and a using a small file to smooth the receiver and make room for the new sight. Fits nice and tight - no wobble at all.

This a fully adjustible (windage and elevation) apeture sight - uses allen screws for adjustment. Also got two extra screw-in (smaller diameter) inserts. Total was $80 something.

Had the same Mojo sight on the 7.62x39 VEPR-K (needed no fitting)and it would put the 1st 3 shots from a cool barrel under an inch at 100 yds all day - even the cheap Rusky stuff. Mojo sight was more accurate than the Russian optics, at least for me, and the only AK I have owned that was a 1 MOA rifle. All it needed was some blue loctite the keep the screws from moving.