I am finishing up my Saiga .308 restoration and wanted opinions from the forum. After adding a Tapco G2 trigger during this process (and removing the slight 'hump' on the hammer), I can definitely see where the safety selector on the .308 is just a bit short for ensuring the safety functions as intended. I know that Dinzag carries a drop in replacement to address, but am looking for alternatives. I did not attempt and didn't have a desire to retain the BHO on this rifle.

Based on what I have read (experts, please correct), two other options exist as I understand it:

1) Replace existing safety selector with a standard AK (x39) Safety selector. Extra length should catch the trigger correctly.

2) Add material to the existing safety selector by welding or using JB Weld to extend.

I have JB Weld and know that this would be an easy mod to do. However, I am a bit concerned about durability using the JB Weld. Regarding a replacement selector, I don't mind having multiple safety selector marks on the receiver as this rifle isn't about a beauty contest anyway. I believe I have seen stock selectors for say $10 (Chinese if I recall?).

What are your thoughts on these options? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

I am finishing up my Saiga .308 restoration and wanted opinions from the forum. After adding a Tapco G2 trigger during this process (and removing the slight 'hump' on the hammer), I can definitely see where the safety selector on the .308 is just a bit short for ensuring the safety functions as intended. I know that Dinzag carries a drop in replacement to address, but am looking for alternatives. I did not attempt and didn't have a desire to retain the BHO on this rifle.

Based on what I have read (experts, please correct), two other options exist as I understand it:

1) Replace existing safety selector with a standard AK (x39) Safety selector. Extra length should catch the trigger correctly.

2) Add material to the existing safety selector by welding or using JB Weld to extend.

I have JB Weld and know that this would be an easy mod to do. However, I am a bit concerned about durability using the JB Weld. Regarding a replacement selector, I don't mind having multiple safety selector marks on the receiver as this rifle isn't about a beauty contest anyway. I believe I have seen stock selectors for say $10 (Chinese if I recall?).

What are your thoughts on these options? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

you could just do what i did and use as many origional parts of the fcg as you can to prevent it and just use stocks and other stuff for 922

Do not use JB Weld for this. I strongly advise that you go with Dinzag's .308-specific FCG. It addresses ALL of the potential issues peculiar to the Saiga .308 FCG post conversion. There is more to it than safety engagement. For example, excessive lateral play in the trigger.

Great input and very much appreciated!

There is more to it than safety engagement. For example, excessive lateral play in the trigger.

I have decided to apply a small bead of JB on each side of the trigger and grind to fit to eliminate excessive lateral movement as I already have the G2. Depending on the outcome, I could eventually end up with the Dinzag drop in anyway, but it is primarily a time investment at this point. Doesn't appear that it needs very much material at all to firm up the lateral movement. I had noticed, but I am glad this feedback was provided.

Regarding the selector itself, I plan to use in a standard AK selector to ensure better engagement.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

As has been noted, you could mod a G2 FCG yourself. For some, that is a fine option. However, if you check out all that Dinzag does to make the G2 work just right with the Saiga .308, the price he charges really isn't at all bad for the quality and peace of mind.