Yugo Bolt Hold Open Mags

I'm looking for input on AK magazines, specifically the pros and cons of the Yugo bolt hold open versus regular steel mags. The bolt hold open type would have the advantage of letting you know when empty. Are there disadvantages as well?

Thanks.

The bolt hold open feature is great for the range but try to do a quick mag change. It is a hole different story. I think metal mags with replacement followers that don't hold the bolt open and circle tens are what i would want for any other work i may require of my weapon.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=54804

and any other reference to quick mag change for AK on youtube. Then try that with the bolt hold open mags.

JMHO

I had last round BHO Surefire Saiga mags.. I thought they would be useful but here is my experience..

At the range.. my general rate of fire is so slow that keeping count of rounds is not really difficult..

AND

When shooting quickly, doing magazine changes.. it SUCKED.. pop the mag out and the bolt slams forward.. then throw another in there and re rack it.. just a pain in the ass..

I MUCH prefer..

pull trigger..

click..

reload...

They insert just as easy as any other mag no real issues. super difficult to perform quick mag change like the link to videos demonstrate. the bolt actually hinders that type of quick change. the bolt with all of the recoil springs weight is pressing up against the BHO follower. It can be done but much more effort and cumbersome. Easier to remove by hand and yes the blot slams forward then you have to insert fresh mag. Much easier to perform quick mag change like the links show with new mag in hand..strip out old mag and insert fresh mag.

Not exactly sure how to explain it but when the last round is chambered the feel is different if I am paying attention. Using com-bloc steel various makes but all have a tell on that last round. Try it and see what I mean. It may be the lack of feel of the next round being pushed up or something.

^ This. Try it yourselves, and I think you'll notice the different "feel" of the weapon when it has a loaded chamber but empty mag. If ya miss it and she goes "click", it's extremely easy, (and fast, with practice), to pop out that empty and rock another full one in... if you have standard AK mags, and not ones that cause the recoil spring to want to hold that empty in place.

The Russkies have never built a LRBHO, (mag-integrated or any other type), into their incredibly successful main battle rifle for over 60 years since its introduction, which oughta tell ya somethin. The AK doesn't need a feature of dubious value to complicate the beautiful simplicity and incredible reliability that the weapon's known for.

ymmv.