will it be obvious when I break through the barrel shroud?

Hi guys,

I'm working on cutting through my FSB barrel shroud. I've gone a long way, but I don't appear to have broken through yet. I'm worried about gashing the barrel with the dremel. Will it be obvious that I've broken through? I was thinking there ought to be a noticeable but small gap between the barrel shroud and the barrel. Any tips for me?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi guys,

I'm working on cutting through my FSB barrel shroud. I've gone a long way, but I don't appear to have broken through yet. I'm worried about gashing the barrel with the dremel. Will it be obvious that I've broken through? I was thinking there ought to be a noticeable but small gap between the barrel shroud and the barrel. Any tips for me?

Thanks.

Jim

It's alil hard to tell. I did my first 762 that way and took for ever. I did end up scoreing the barrel nut hair. The second time I did it I drilled the dinples out about 1/16 down and wacked it off with a hammer which was much much easier IMO. But if you are gonna stick with dremeling it you'll probably have to do both sides of the shroud. I had a hell of a time wacking it off with only one side cut.

Good luck

Edit: I was taking off the whole fsb though. If you are keeping the fsb and just removing the shroud, I've heard of a pipe cutter working well. You can pick one up at lowes/home depo/hardware store

Edited by AZG