I have my conversion parts ordered and need to pick up some magazines.

Was wondering if there is standard varience between different surplus mags....Example: surplus mags from country A tend to fit slightly different than country B or C.

If I use Romanian surplus mags to file down mag catch to fit, are Bulgarian circle 10's not going to lock up tight? Trying to avoid problems that may result from my ignorance of AK platform, and the multitude of different countries producing things. Some day I would like to have some circle 10's.

Also, if you were on a tight budget, and needed to buy 4-6 mags now, which would you buy? Where would you order from?

Thanks guys.

Before you look too deeply into using foreign made magazines, ensure your rifle will be 922r compliant with them.

I can't speak knowledgeably about filing the mag catch down, but others will chime in shortly.

I can speak in regard to your question about inexpensive magazines: the best deal right now seems to be Bulgarian Steel 30 rounders: they go for around $9 each, and a few places have them in stock. I personally purchased mine from AIM Surplus, and they are the easiest to insert of any of my magazines: the polymer mags I have don't like to lock up without a fuss.

Edited by MN.9130

Thanks MN that is exactly the feedback I was looking for.....I can always file a little more to fit expensive poly mags down the road.

I will be 922r compliant.

I see some of the Bulgarian mags have polymer followers. Are these as long term reliable as steel? I live where it gets very very cold. Some plastics don't hold up well when temp gets well bellow 0.

Even if I get some circle 10's down the road I don't think I will use them in winter.

All 7.62x39 military magazines were produced to the same blueprints on pain of death or a lifetime in the gulag (depending on the country).

However, due to the vagaries of manufacturing (of both rifles and mags), there are slight differences, but none should affect their usage in a factory Kalashnikov.

When fitting your mag catch, it is desirable to fit each of your mags (if you have more than one) so that all fit. It may be that some fit a bit more loosely than others, but again, these differences should be very small.

None of this applies to American made mags.