Looking for a brake. Have certain requirements.

I'm looking for a x39 brake to throw onto a Draco when I get one. Here are the requirements:

-It actually has to be good at battling recoil, being that it's going onto a pistol.

-I'd like it to be as short as possible, to keep the Draco's OAL as short as possible.

-It's flash characteristics are not my main concern. If it hides some flash, great, if not, I guess I can deal.

-Preferably, it doesn't increase blast concussion too much, like most brakes.

I saw a video on a standard slant brake on a Draco, compared to no brake. The difference in muzzle climb was noticeable. But everything I've read about slant brakes on Draco's says it throws a fireball right up into your line of sight. Like I said, flash isn't a huge deal, but some flash hiding characteristics in a brake would be welcomed.

Anyone have any experience with the PWS AK comp?

xpwsakj762.jpg

I have the FSC47 which is the successor to the JTAC comp (which you have pictured). It works great but it definitely uses some of its length for flash suppression. When I called PWS about the JTAC vs. FSC47 they said if you shot them back to back you would think the JTAC was not doing anything. They said it was that much better. I like mine.

jrmock

Edited by jrmock
  • Like 1

I have the FSC47 which is the successor to the JTAC comp (which you have pictured). It works great but it definitely uses some of its length for flash suppression. When I called PWS about the JTAC vs. FSC47 they said if you shot them back to back you would think the JTAC was not doing anything. They said it was that much better. I like mine.

jrmock

Thanks for the info.

Judging by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IIDK5ke3c

......it does indeed appear to be pretty damn useful. I don't know if I can personally justify a $100 brake though. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a used one.

Thanks for the info, fellas.

I have the FSC 47 on my SAR 1. It's my first muzzle brake. I never flinched before when firing an AK. If I had to do it over again, I'd get something less expensive.

I used to shoot with earplugs, but the first shot I put through the brake made my ears ring instantly. It's much louder than my 308 ver. 21. Now I use earmuffs.

I think it reduces muzzle rise, but I'd almost swear that the thing kicks more sharply with the brake. I think some of that energy is redirected back to your shoulder. While this does make it easier to bump fire, I'm not sure the brake has made my follow up shots any quicker. Partially because i flinch/blink now due to the muzzle blast being so effing loud.

Keep in mind that the Mongo firing one-handed in the video is a big dude. Not all of us are giants running full auto guns.

If you do order from PWS, be advised that the brake will not come with an indexing/retention pin or spring. Their website shows the brake with the pin. I never got one. I emailed them about this, and they never responded. I just made my own.

If may reduce flash some, but I've never had a problem being blinded by shooting an AK at dusk. This might be more of an issue with a Draco. Regardless, the amount of flash is still quite noticeable from the side. It might keep you from being blinded by muzzle flash, but it certainly won't keep you from being seen.

Don't let the price tag fool you into thinking it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. There isn't $90 worth of difference between the FSC 47 and a slant brake. Looking at their videos, I don't think there's that much functional difference either.

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 1

Sorry about the links nailbomb...my bad....I hope these are ok?

Honestly from viewing these comparison videos it looks like the vortex/acc blackout and wolverine doe the best for flash. I can't say about brake capabilities.

I think the Most would say that the AK74 would be your best bet but then it wouldn't meet your size requirement. I do know from experience that the j-tac was loud but it did settle the AMD 65 front end down quite a bit.

I haven't Dont enough research other than this to provide more in depth info. Like i am not sure about the phantom/wolverine/acc blackout/vortex brake abilities.

i like the idea of less flash as i am using full size weapon and muzzle rise really isnt that bad. so i am going to try to get more info on the vortex/acc black out and wolverine.

Then there is the jp recoil reducer but man what a flame.

I am sure others with more practical experience will chime in.

i hope these help.

Edited by leadslinger
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for doing all the legwork leadslinger! Much appreciated.

Maybe I should give up caring about the flash suppression capabilities, and only worry about the brake abilities, since that's more important to me in this application. I don't plan on doing much, if any, night shooting, so I guess it's not a really big deal.

I think I'm just going to go with a standard slant brake for right, since it's cheap and appears to cut down on the muzzle flip enough to be satisfactory.

Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNLwaDfwLJk

It's pretty clear that the slant brake turns that muzzle flip into more of a straight back "push".

no worries it was something to do on my night off. I am working 10pm to 7am and have three days off so i needed something to keep me from going stir crazy.

I agree with you that the slant brake does show a considerable difference in the muzzle flip and it does seem to give the DRACO a straight back push. I would really like to see some night shots of it to see how the slant brake does with it. In one of those comparison videos the slant brake didn't seemed to fair pretty well.

Seems to me that putting lighter plastic furniture and one of those MAGPUL AFG ANGLED FORE-GRIPs would really make it a manageable firearm.

• Like 1

I agree with you that the slant brake does show a considerable difference in the muzzle flip and it does seem to give the DRACO a straight back push. I would really like to see some night shots of it to see how the slant brake does with it. In one of those comparison videos the slant brake didn't seemed to fair pretty well.

Every video on YouTube of Draco's show a pretty big fireball, when they're shooting with just the muzzle nut. I can only assume that the slant brake would be the exact same, except redirected upwards.

Here's a video of one being shot with no muzzle attachment, only the nut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMW7GmqnLg

Just found out that AAC is supposedly coming out with a 7.62 version of one of their brakes.

This is the 5.56 version:

This new non-mount brake is perfect for applications where you want to reduce recoil as much as possible while adding as little length as possible.

brake-non-short-1.jpg

Could be another contender, whenever it comes out.