trouble with marlin 30 30 lever action

I recently inherited a marlin 30 30 lever action and the lever is stuck this gun doesnt have an oz of rust anywhere and hasnt been shot in about 20 years when my grandpa finally left the farm since then has been sitting in his gun cabinet any ideals on how to fix this because to get the reviver apart the lever must come down

Take the wood off the gun before you put the oil to it, so it won't get saturated.

Verify that the gun is unloaded. Put a cleaning rod down the bore and make a mark on it at the muzzle. Then place the rod along side the barrel to make sure it is going all the way down to the breach face. Also the breach face will be hard compared to a bullet. It should also be silver-shiney if you have a light that can shine down the bore. Put the rod down onto the bolt face and have someone TAP on it pushing the bolt face back, while you try to uncock the lever.

Have the hammer down at all times.

Edited by GKW

Sorry for my brief response before, I've been having health problems and haven't been particularly clear-headed lately.

What model is it? 336? I'm assuming it is. I would venture an educated guess that the lever plunger (part 35 in the linked pic below, built into the lever just above where your trigger finger goes) is rusted stuck and can't collapse into the lever/away from the frame. Again that's a guess, but that would definitely lock the lever up tight with no play.

You shouldn't need to disassemble the receiver at all to get the wood off. There's a single screw (18) located on top of the buttstock, all the way at the rear of the receiver tang. Pull that screw out and the buttstock should slip right off rearward. At the front of the magazine tube on the bottom of the rifle is a small screw (49); pull that out and the magazine end cap (48) should come out forward (read: shoot out with a lot of force if you don't keep it under control) along with the spring (47), follower (46), and any ammunition. In the event that a cartridge is stuck in the front of the receiver, you can try using a piece of quarter inch dowel or similar blunt object to stick through the feed gate and push forward on the cartridge.

After that, pull out the front and rear barrel band screws (44 and 51) and you should be able to pull the magazine tube completely forward and off the gun, through the front barrel band. Slip the rear barrel band forward and the wood forend should come off downward. Now once you have all the wood off the rifle, saturate it in penetrating oil for a few hours (or days) and see if that helps un-stick things.

Clear as mud, right? Hopefully that all made sense.

50112460.jpg