FNG w/7.62 conversion ?'s

I'm a 1st time Saiga owner and I just bought a 7.62 rifle & conversion kit fr CSS including a magpul stock, SAW grip, and what is described on the CSS website as "trigger group-saiga rifle modified fire control group". The fire control group includes; modified g2 fire control group, disconnect spring, & axis pin rifle plate. I will attempt my conversion as soon as I get clarification on a couple of points. I am using the 7.62 conversion video posted here http://vimeo.com/2787027 as a guide. On this video I see 2 parts that that are removed but not reused in the video. They are:

1. pin retaining spring

2. bolt hold open spring

Since they are not reused on the video my questions are:

1. what part on my conversion kit now holds the pin in instead of the pin retaining spring?

2. will this conversion kit retain the functionality of holding the bolt open after the last shot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can't answer the entirety of your questions, but here's a partial answer to tide you over until a more knowledgeable member pipes in!

The Saiga never had a last round bolt hold open feature. The bolt hold open (BHO) lever on the stock weapon requires the bolt to be held to the rear and pushed in by the user: this is not done during firing. At least, not intentionally! The reason for it's existance is largely political: it's value is solely in the eye of the beholder. Some, who shoot on ranges that get bent out of shape about ensuring all rifles not being fired have an open bolt, will love it. Others with large hands dislike it, as it CAN be engaged when unwanted.

That is another debate for another time. You've signaled you want it, so let's talk about that for now.

The parts are not re-used in that video because they use a standard AK Fire Control Group (FCG): there is not room for the BHO lever to sit next to the hammer. You've purchased an FCG that HAS been modified, i.e. had material removed from your hammer to allow that BHO lever to be re-installed after your conversion. Now, I'm a little confused about what you mean by "pin retaining spring": if you are referring to your BHO spring, simply reinstall that as normal with your BHO lever. If you are referring to a way to retain your axis pins, it sounds like you purchased a retaining PLATE: these work great, just make sure they seat properly. If you can push the axis pins out after you've re-assembled... the plate didn't seat properly!

I hope that helps, and again, others will surely chime in shortly. Folks here are a genuine wellspring of knowledge. Welcome to the forums!

You will either reuse the retainer wire (in some configuration) to hold in the axis pins, or use a retainer plate or e-clip. The Saiga has no inherent LRBHO to start with so you should not expect this feature after conversion. The easiest way to obtain this is to get some Yugo mags that include this feature (assuming 7.62x39.)

Thx for the reply. I haven't fired it pre-conversion as I wanted it to be as clean as possible during the conversion. Didn't know there was no last round hold-open. After watching the video I realized the pin retaining spring is for rear pins taht are discarded once the trigger is moved. It's a learning process for me.

I can't answer the entirety of your questions, but here's a partial answer to tide you over until a more knowledgeable member pipes in!

The Saiga never had a last round bolt hold open feature. The bolt hold open (BHO) lever on the stock weapon requires the bolt to be held to the rear and pushed in by the user: this is not done during firing. At least, not intentionally! The reason for it's existance is largely political: it's value is solely in the eye of the beholder. Some, who shoot on ranges that get bent out of shape about ensuring all rifles not being fired have an open bolt, will love it. Others with large hands dislike it, as it CAN be engaged when unwanted.

That is another debate for another time. You've signaled you want it, so let's talk about that for now.

The parts are not re-used in that video because they use a standard AK Fire Control Group (FCG): there is not room for the BHO lever to sit next to the hammer. You've purchased an FCG that HAS been modified, i.e. had material removed from your hammer to allow that BHO lever to be re-installed after your conversion. Now, I'm a little confused about what you mean by "pin retaining spring": if you are referring to your BHO spring, simply reinstall that as normal with your BHO lever. If you are referring to a way to retain your axis pins, it sounds like you purchased a retaining PLATE: these work great, just make sure they seat properly. If you can push the axis pins out after you've re-assembled... the plate didn't seat properly!

I hope that helps, and again, others will surely chime in shortly. Folks here are a genuine wellspring of knowledge. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks.

You will either reuse the retainer wire (in some configuration) to hold in the axis pins, or use a retainer plate or e-clip. The Saiga has no inherent LRBHO to start with so you should not expect this feature after conversion. The easiest way to obtain this is to get some Yugo mags that include this feature (assuming 7.62x39.)