My hand guard journey and awakening

i Have been stressing over the hand guards forever. I have UTG on right now. I would like to lighten the front end. I will probably only hang a light from the front end so rails and especially upper rails are not a super consideration.I would prefer the sling to be mounted on the side.

I do prefer the longer hand guards for protection from barrel and the ability to bench rest the rifle. Do the shorter AK style hand guards allow you to bench rest the weapon well?

weight,rails and expense have eliminated the Mi,DPH,surefire etc. as I might as well stay with the UTG.

I have been looking at the tapco intrafuse saiga hand guard but some of the posts referring to the bottom and sides flexing and the melting of the adapter block give me serious concerns.

I have a picked up pair of the K-var hand guards and was looking at the tapco intrafuse AK hand guards for the flat bottom. I figured they would facilitate bench resting as the K-vars seem to have that curve. now we are back to a shorter hand guard but the weight in the front end is lightened. I seem to remember long time ago i had this type of hand guard on an old AMD build and they got very warm very quickly.

i just realized that i have been focusing on bench rest shooting of this weapon and being able to comfortably having it rest even with the long 30 round mags in it.

I can make a rest that will accommodate this function (something like the AR-rest in the box-o-truth review or the various portable bi pods available that attach to lower sling mount) so it takes the hand guard about of the equation for that purpose.

this is after all a combat weapon so the hand guards come down to good weak hand purchase,heat Resistance and light front end weight.

I like all my weapons to be set up the same way so i guess its one more k-var or even the tapco AK intrafuse set and the 2 retainers. i will just have to practice discipline in handling the weapon to keep my hands away from the warm barrel. heck if all the people before me have learned than i am sure i can.

The light has just came on. I can't believe it has taken me this long to realize that i was trying to get the hand guards to do too much while trying to be minimalistic with my set up. they are opposing concepts.

Whew!!!!!! now its down to be able to find a decent way to mount the small rail for a light that doesn't interfere with the grip. any good suggestions?

what are opinions of the k-var versus the tapco AK intrafuse hand guards? they both seem to have similar qualities.

thanks for the forums patience.

I do prefer the longer hand guards for protection from barrel and the ability to bench rest the rifle. Do the shorter AK style hand guards allow you to bench rest the weapon well?

...i just realized that i have been focusing on bench rest shooting of this weapon and being able to comfortably having it rest even with the long 30 round mags in it.

Here's my thinking on the matter. You may have a totally different purpose for your rifles that I do for mine; if so, ignore what follows. Here goes:

Issues of bench rest convenience should not be a consideration on a fighting rifle. You won't have a bench if you ever have to fight home invaders/looters/robbers/whatever, so very little time should be spent shooting from one. I use the bench rest only to zero the rifle, and to test its inherent accuracy. Otherwise, I'm shooting standing, seated, kneeling or prone.

I like all my weapons to be set up the same way so i guess its one more k-var or even the tapco AK intrafuse set and the 2 retainers. i will just have to practice discipline in handling the weapon to keep my hands away from the warm barrel. heck if all the people before me have learned than i am sure i can.

It's not too hard, actually, with practice. But try using the mag as a forward grip, at least for close combat drills.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 2

Jim you're statement consolidates my long winded post and conveys my new found awareness. I am right there with you. it must have been a hold over from shooting in Maryland for so many years you were required to shoot on the bench no standing or off hand shooting.

• 3 months later...

well i figured i would run an update on this long journey of mine. I finally settled on the K-var hand guards. I did try some mods to the stock OEM hand the front end was still a bit heavy. Not as heavy as the UTG quad rails but still nose heavy. I realized that the saiga gas tube is heavier than regular AK gas tubes and the OEM hand guard does have metal reinforcements in it which gives it its weight and additional strength. i was interested in the stock OEM hand guard as i felt i wanted the option to mount sling attachment, bi pod and ease of mounting light attachment while lowering weight of UTG. it came down to weight for me so i figured when i bench shoot i will just use my X-rest great little product (over priced) but versatile mobile and compact plus you can use with hi-cap mag. I can use for any rifle and handgun. http://www.montiegear.com/modules/shop/products/ar-rest_-_great_for_ar-15~2C_m-16_or_ak-47/ar-rest.html

the K-var decision came from recommendation from rifle dynamics. i figured these guys run their guns to the limit and are more than happy with the k-var hand guards.

The hand guard retainer easy to install and relatively cheap. Just be super careful with creating the notch at the top of the barrel.I am going to investigate some other option in the near future, but for now this works well.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/38470-ak-47-saiga-lower-handguard-retainer-lower-handguard-retainer-vulcan-arms.html

sling attachment:I think super versatile well made great reputation and affordable.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=417821

Lastly i am still looking for a decent light mount which i would like to be just forward of the hand guard in line with the barrel. I know it will add extra weight but i do feel it would be an added benefit if needed in the dark. I am going to try to research this one for the smallest available attachment.

Sights: i ended up with the Krebs rear peep and XS 24/7 ----blade front. i find them to provide reasonable accuracy when bench shooting and great target acquisition off hand.

http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html#ak

hogue grip--great feel and ergonomics for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Grips-Rubber-Black-74000/dp/B002I9X6GG

stock I know i am going to catch flack for this but i hate recoil and it allows me to shoot all day whether bench or off hand with no ill effects what so ever and solves barrel rise. its built well lightweight performs as advertised and can be found for much cheaper if you are willing to spend the time to search the Internet.

http://www.tacticalcity.com/product_details.asp?ProdID=1432

i went with the slant break for its reduced expense and dual purpose.

Tapco G2 trigger. can't say enough for these units best deal on the market.

My reference links are not particularly where i purchased the items from but just for demonstration only. I spend a ton of hours looking for sale or used parts over these past couple of years.

I am not saying this combination is the best for everyone just the best for me.

I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. this weapon is light weight comfortable to shoot, accurate and just a blast to shoot. I just need to work more to afford more ammo.

Thats my journey and story and i am sticking to it.