I have an arsenal sgl20 with a 74 break on it. Great weapon shoots good no problems blah blah blah except one thing. After every shooting I take off the break to clean and the crown has a TON of caked on carbon baked onto it. I clean it everytime but its starting to piss me off enough to just quit using it. I think this is normal due to the design but wtf im wondering if it will start to effect accuracy after a couple hundred rounds.

One time after a 200 round shoot it looked like a couple mms deep and took a good 20 min scrub to get it off. I think Im just going to order the nut and be done with it.

Anybody else notice this?

Edited by GREYLUPO

Ah, I can't see it effecting accuracy, not in any practical sense at least. Mine are permanently welded on and the only cleaning they get it a WD40 douche every ~500 rounds and the rifles are fine at 100-200 yards. I can see why the gunk would bug you but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, the 74 brake is the best muzzle device for these IMO.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 1

Ah, I can't see it effecting accuracy, not in any practical sense at least. Mine are permanently welded on and the only cleaning they get it a WD40 douche every ~500 rounds and the rifles are fine at 100-200 yards. I can see why the gunk would bug you but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, the 74 brake is the best muzzle device for these IMO.

Damn welded on? I take it thats a NJ law..

Well maybe Im just being paranoid about it then. I just hate taking it off and seeing the crown looking fubared. I guess ill just pretend my is welded on too lol.

Thanks classy

If the walls carbon up no big deal. I'm shooting Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Tiger & Byerl they all cast carbon. As long as the vent holes or the "zig-zap" slits aren't blocked by carbon you should be fine. I'm only cleaning my (I have one of each) Arsenal 107 &106 after every five shootings. That's approximately 800 to 1000 rounds between cleanings. Only problem I've ever had was one of the vent holes clogging up but that was easy enough to fix. 8)

Dude remember your shooting a real gun, not a finicky AR-15 that chokes at the first signs of dirt or carbon. Hehehe.

Edited by sgmgsg9
  • Like 1

Well maybe Im just being paranoid about it then. I just hate taking it off and seeing the crown looking fubared. I guess ill just pretend my is welded on too lol.

Thanks classy

Yeah, a flash hider or threaded barrel counts as a feature towards "assault weapon" here so for example you could have an M1A or an unconverted Saiga with a removable flash hider but something like a Saiga with a pistol grip or an AR-15 needs to have either no device/threads or a muzzle brake permanently attached. Dumb games we have to play.

No problem.

Thanks classy

Yeah, a flash hider or threaded barrel counts as a feature towards "assault weapon" here so for example you could have an M1A or an unconverted Saiga with a removable flash hider but something like a Saiga with a pistol grip or an AR-15 needs to have either no device/threads or a muzzle brake permanently attached. Dumb games we have to play.

No problem.

I would move if I would you, VA, NC or SC even PA. Plus the air would be better lol

If the walls carbon up no big deal. I'm shooting Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Tiger & Byerl they all cast carbon. As long as the vent holes or the "zig-zap" slits aren't blocked by carbon you should be fine. I'm only cleaning my (I have one of each) Arsenal 107 &106 after every five shootings. That's approximately 800 to 1000 rounds between cleanings. Only problem I've ever had was one of the vent holes clogging up but that was easy enough to fix. 8)

Dude remember your shooting a real gun, not a finicky AR-15 that chokes at the first signs of dirt or carbon. Hehehe.

The break itself stays overall pretty clean its the carbon that gets baked onto the crown. I think Ill just stop worring about it.

For quick clean-up, take a BRASS hammer and tap the carbon deposits around the muzzle. They are very brittle and will chip right off, leaving very little to clean in the conventional way. Wear eye protection.

This is how we clean the deposits off the ends of 1919A4 barrels after dumping 3-4,000 rounds through them.