Safety Reinstallation Issue

Background Info: Today, I was finally finishing a Saiga 308 I started converting last summer. (My first mistake) I had originally purchase a standard Tapco FCG and had planned to have the extra piece welded to the safety. Then while reading this forum I discovered Dinzag offered a modified FCG specific for the 308. I finally got around (4 months later) to ordering the modified arsenal 308 FCG from Dinzagarms. This isn't my first restoration and I did the complete job except reinstalling the FCG. Today I installed the modified FCG without any issues and used a retaining plate to lock it in. Checked the trigger for function which seems normal and then I slid in the safety which when all the way in as it should. Then I went to move it forward into place...

Actual Issue: The added piece to the Dinzag modified 308 Arsenal trigger group (which make the safety function properly) is not allowing me to return the safety to its function position. I wiggled the trigger, tried moving the disconnector around, spinning the safety around the long way but I'm not having any luck. I can definitely apply more force but this seems like an finese issue rather than a brut force one. Am I missing something? Please advise.

LTTP

I found that I had to replace the factory modified 308 safety with a standard AK safety to make it work correctly. The 308 safety has been modified at the factory to operate with the enlongated 308 trigger. It could be that modification that is causing your problems.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm getting the feeling it didn't need the modified trigger. So I just broke out the file and took a little off the safety (probably less than an 1/8"). Now it clears the trigger and the safety is fully functional. Its such a close fit that the trigger literally has zero movement when the safety is on. Well, I wasn't expecting that issue but I guess it just shows you that you do learn something new with every build. Hopefully this comes in handy to someone else

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm getting the feeling it didn't need the modified trigger. So I just broke out the file and took a little off the safety (probably less than an 1/8"). Now it clears the trigger and the safety is fully functional. Its such a close fit that the trigger literally has zero movement when the safety is on. Well, I wasn't expecting that issue but I guess it just shows you that you do learn something new with every build. Hopefully this comes in handy to someone else

I had the same thing happen to me and solved it very similar to what you stated here.