Tech-SIGHTS modification

The most common complaint about the Tech-SIGHTS AK200-series sights seems to be that field stripping is encumbered by the device. While the first few sights they sold were much worse in this regard, Tech-SIGHTS made right by me and sent out retrofit spring plungers free of charge. Later they devised an alternate method of removing the cover, which also improved ease unless a side mount scope was also on the rifle and still required a pointed tool to depress the plungers.

My solution was to remove the plungers and the roll pins, drilled the holes to 3/16", and inserted this little doohackey:

TSpins.jpg

It's just a couple 3/16" quick release pins with their rings removed. The pins are connected with nylon-coated stainless steel wire rope with crimped bits of stainless tubing on the ends. The ends are dipped in PlastiDip. The result:

TSpinsback.jpg

TSpinsright.jpg

The setup is faster to use than the factory configuration without greatly increasing its profile. I initially planned to drill and tap the back of the sight tower to accept a sling swivel stud. The wire rope would be threaded through the hole in the stud to retain the pins when the dust cover was removed. Due to the heat treatment that toughens the steel of the sight, however, I was barely able to drill the plunger holes!