First experience w/new .223

Hi All,

I've been lurking around for a while trying to make up my mind on a long gun to share with my wife. We already have a Ruger 10/22 but wanted a little more bang. She is afraid of my .30's so we narrowed it down to the Mini-14 or the Saiga .223. We decided on a new 16" Saiga. The only thing I've bought so far is a Pro-Mag 30 mag (that's all they had in the store). I've read here they aren't very good for a variety of reasons so I intend to get a Surefire or two.

Trip # 1 to the range: Using smelly Brown Bear ammo fired off about 30 rds using the factory mag. Except for the stench all went well. Fired off about 60 rds with the Pro-Mag and the random FTF began to occur. The cartridge was chambered however the trigger would not return to the "fire" position. While maintaining aim at the target I "flicked" the trigger several times and it eventually would return to the fire position and subsequently fire. Switched back to the factory mag - same thing - random FTF. Switched to brass ammo in factory mag - same thing. Range Master (who was watching closely) suggested I return the rifle for inspection/repair. I called the store where i bought it and they said no problem....just bring it in...they'd repair or replace if necessary. The gunsmith pointed out they grease it heavily for shipping and agreed to break it down and clean very carefully and test it at their indoor range. I asked if I could do it and he said ok and I did so.

Trip # 2 to the range: Leaving my smelly Brown Bear ammo in the closet, I rattled off around 400 rds using both the factory and Pro-Mag rounds without a hitch. The friendly Range-Master helped me with the windage adjustment and all seems well. I still intend to have the gunsmith inspect it next time I'm there but I think I made a good choice. Recoil is negligible and my 100 lb wife will have no problem.

Newbie Question: The two purposes for buying this rifle are #1 fun at the range and #2 SHTF. Believe me when I say this - I have tried to answer these questions myself by reading here before asking! Our eyesight just ain't what it used to be so I'm looking for recommendations on an optic setup with some magnification in the $200 range. (Please stop laughing) We do not intend to become match shooters or gunsmiths and consider hitting a pie plate @50 and 100 yds a success. We can both do our part with the Ruger 10/22 (hers) and Marlin 30-30 (mine) 95% of the time.

Anyway...sorry for the long-winded post on my first day. Been readin' here awhile and you folks have a nice group. Advice and suggestions cheerfully accepted!

The cartridge was chambered however the trigger would not return to the "fire" position. While maintaining aim at the target I "flicked" the trigger several times and it eventually would return to the fire position and subsequently fire.

I've had this happen too, and it was because one of the hammer spring legs was not properly lapped over the trigger. (It is sometimes necessary to bend the legs somewhat).

Also, if the rifle is partially for SHTF, consider getting some milspec mags.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Welcome and good choice on the Saiga. It will eat ammo that the Mini can't stomach.

Sounds like you got the trigger reset issue solved.

As for optics, my friend mav suggested the Burris Fullfield II with ballistics reticle to me and I have been very pleased with the performance.

The reticle is set up for .223 and it is within the price range you quoted. Your other decision with be the mount and there are a few available so do your homework on that also.

Do you plan on doing a conversion? If so this opens up another large area of choices.

Be sure to check out the web sites of our many vendors. They have most everything you will need to get your rifle perfect for you needs.

BTW. My wife prefers my .223 to my 7.62's also, so my set-up was as much to fit her as me.

This pic has been posted recently in another thread but I will put it here as well to show you some options for your rifle. The adjustable stock with adjustable cheek weld allows me to set it up just right for her.

post-15138-0-56320000-1296662665_thumb.jpg

Welcome and good choice on the Saiga. It will eat ammo that the Mini can't stomach.

Sounds like you got the trigger reset issue solved.

As for optics, my friend mav suggested the Burris Fullfield II with ballistics reticle to me and I have been very pleased with the performance.

The reticle is set up for .223 and it is within the price range you quoted. Your other decision with be the mount and there are a few available so do your homework on that also.

Do you plan on doing a conversion? If so this opens up another large area of choices.

Be sure to check out the web sites of our many vendors. They have most everything you will need to get your rifle perfect for you needs.

BTW. My wife prefers my .223 to my 7.62's also, so my set-up was as much to fit her as me.

This pic has been posted recently in another thread but I will put it here as well to show you some options for your rifle. The adjustable stock with adjustable cheek weld allows me to set it up just right for her.

Hi Jim and DaveM! I will check out both the Mil spec mags and the suggested optics. As it stands now that's all I want it to do....hit a pie plate @ 50 and 100 yds about 95% of the time. Gotta save up some cash before even entertaining the idea of additional accessories. This economy is so bad I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail today. Thanks!

Edit: I don't think it hurts anything but my feelings but I'm not fond of the scratch that comes from the safety lever! I don't dare bend the thing...

Edited by chunga

Hi Jim,

I'm trying to identify that part number from page 31 of the manual. Looks like it's either part # 21 (mainspring) or part # 28 (trigger-mechanism spring). I'll look at it closely next time I disassemble and use great caution before I go bending anything.

FYI...I took a closer look at my Pro-Mag that I said worked fine. The lip on the front is broken off already. Blech. In the bag already for store credit.