Lightweight bullets in 308.

Shot 110gr Hornady TAP ammo with VERY GOOD results.. 1 1/4" @ 100 yards with 4 shots... its like 3000FPS so no worries about cycling issues.

Hornady SST 150gr were pretty close also at like 1 5/8" or so..

This was with a scope on my 308 Saiga with 21" bbl.. and I have shot over 750 rounds thus far thru it... so your accuracy results may vary.. ;)

Al

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

I can let you know about 135gr Sierra Match Kings soon. I'm dropping down another 20gr to see if I can get more consistency past 200 yards. I went from 168s to 155gr Amaxes and MKs and the 155s are decent under 300 in my rig, but fall apart after that, farther apart than they should reasonably be expected to: 2 MOA at 200 ... 4 - 5 MOA at 300. That won't cut it on the course. Another Hail Mary pass for loading and with a barrel cut to 20" and 11 degree crown. :unsure:

That's right, I forgot you had used TAP with those results.

I'm trying to develop a lower recoil load that will allow faster follow up shots sans muzzle brake (don't like the blast, don't want the hassle or cost). Not that the heavier loads even kick that bad, but they do kick more like a hunting rifle than a standard AR or AK. I figure a light load with a moderate powder charge out of a 308 will still hit harder than either of those rifles, but retain the advantage of the ability to use heavier bullets when heavier bullets are called for.

Good luck with the 135s.

Thanks guys.

I ordered a hundred Sierra 150gr Match Kings instead of the 135s. I'm hoping they'll work ok after the cut and crown next week. My S308 seems to prefer lighter bullets at moderate velocities, and in all the testing I've done Brown Bear FMJs still out-shoot anything else. But I can't use them in competition due to bimetal bullet. Hoping the 150s work well.