Occasionally I have seen some contributors make a reference to which side to drive out various pins on Saigas and other AK based weapons. Is there a right or wrong side to drive a pin from. Pins I'm referring to are the Barrel, GB and FSB pins. Looking down the barrel should they be driven out from the left or right or does it matter? Reason I'm asking is because I wish to pull the barrel on mine and because of the shape of the receiver it would be easier to back up the left side and drive the pin from the right side. I just don't want something unforeseen to create a problem.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Not 100% positive about this, but what I remember from reading...

The pins are put in, and then one is is mashed a little to keep it lodged in there. That is the side that you must pound out twards. As I understand it, one side of the pin will be a little larger than the other. Bang from the other side. I would really like to know if there are any gotchas with knocking these little buggers out. I plan on taking off the gas block later this weekend. I think.

Think about this way.....

If you remove a nail from a board, do you try and knock it all the way through the other side

or do you pull it out the same way it went in?

Edited by Spartacus