it was a manufacturing change to save costs, IMPO

Let me add, there is also a lessened risk of catastrophic failure of the gas system because the gas over pressure will vent before the piston head enters the tube.

I believe the changes first took place in the transition from AK-47 to AKM. The AKM tube also does better at keeping debris out of the system.

Edited by tktm

what i'm trying to find out is was there ever AKMs with vented gas tubes?

an AKM should not have a vented tube; but we are talking about commies

So commies never put vented gastubes on AKMs?

The AKM was not designed to have a vented gastube; but I never discount the possibility of a vodka special

I never cared to look but was under the impression the chinese Type 56's were the only production AK's to have vented gas tubes.

Not sure if it was this forum or warriortalk but I'm going to call out Jim Fuller again.

His recommendation was along the line of never use a gas tube with vent holes. It serves no purpose and just adds more holes where crap could get in the rifle.

The only area where the piston is affected by any gas pressure is when the tip of it is in the gas block. Once the head of the piston moves outside of the gas block the pressure is all gone. Regardless of a gas tube being there or not or if a tube has hole or not.

Gas checks in the gas block are a different story. When the piston is in the as block it actually prevents crap from getting in those holes.

Frankly, the way most of them fit, they bad as well be "vented." The fit of most is far from gas tight. I do not believe that it is an issue either way.

Personal Experience: My Saiga 7.62x39 does not have as much felt recoil and does not throw the brass as far since I put on a type 56 vented gas tube. The holes are so small that any debris that would fit through would not have any effect on the action. That is tacticool mall commando know-it-all BS. After all, I once threw a handful of dirt in an AK without a top cover, and it didn't even burp. I doubt if some dust going through the small gas vent holes would mess with anything. I have never placed much credence in the crap that the AK and AR gurus say.

After all, the gurus claim AKs are better than VZ-58s and AR-15s are better than AR-18/180s. At best the AK and VZ are a tie. I know, however, the handier milled receiver VZ blows the AK out of the water. I have both an AR-15 and an AR-180. The piston driven AR-180 with its AR accuracy and AK dirt and crud clearance of the AK, totally smokes the AR-15.

I evaluate my own firearms, make my own decisions, and don't really care what the "legends in their own minds" think.

BTW: With 5 years military and over 20 years full time Law Enforcement, I have fired probably half a million rounds through real black guns since 1974. It is not about mall ninja shit. I carried a weapon for a living, and depended on it to allow me to return home to my wife and kids. Let the talking heads sing their own praise and pass out pontifications to the masses....To me, a weapon is a tool for survival, and must be 100% reliable. It does not mean that you can't shoot for fun, as 99% of shooting is for fun, as it should be.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1