new tapco fcg feels gritty

Hi all. New saiga owner and new forum member here. I just took my x39 out for the first time since I converted to the tapco g2 single hook fcg and added my pistol grip. Overall im pretty happy with it but the pull feels a little gritty. It seems a bit lighter which I like, but not super smooth.

Im not sure if im just being over critical and focusing on what I hadn't previously noticed. I may even have felt just a little trigger slap too?????however that was after a few hundred rounds and it was getting a little cold out, so who knows, may have just been thinking about it too much.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience. I've basically only heard good things about this fcg up until now. Thanks in advance

I just put one in my draco with the same result. Was not impressed with the grittyness. So I took out the pin, sanded it with 400 grit sand paper and threw some grease on the FCG pin and it helped alot

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

I just put one in my draco with the same result. Was not impressed with the grittyness. So I took out the pins sanded them with 400 grit sand paper and threw some grease on the FCG pin and it helped alot

good call! polishing helps out a LOT, unless you just wanna grease it and put a couple hundred rounds though it and let it polish itself...lol

Is the grittieness that Im feeling the hammer sliding off of the hook or is it the entire trigger rotating on the pin? As i reach in Im now noticing that the inside of that hook feels a little rough. Since Im new to this Im a little hesitant to start sanding/messing with it, but is that something I should try and smooth out

In all seriousness, about when should I feel it smooth itself out. Already put about 200 rounds through it. Im sure ill put at least that many more next time out. Just wondering if its worth pulling appart to sand/polish

• 2 weeks later...

I don't advocate polishing too much. I did an old G2 trigger and after several thousand rounds it has a hard time staying in semi-auto mode. If you do any polishing i would just use some flitz or jewelers rogue and old tshirt wrapped around your finger to be safe. polish contact surfaces. I have found that shooting after about 500 rounds it gets real nice. Plus are you putting some type of thin film of lube or grease on the contact surfaces?

Trigger slap you be all but gone with this trigger. there may be an insignificant amount left but i would wander if it is recoil management? meaning that are you letting the weapon rebound off your shoulder somewhat or maintaining firm contact. Remember this trigger is never going to behave like an AR or Bolt action trigger. hope this helps.

Try a new disconnector spring. I put a Texas AK trigger spring in a Tapco double hook trigger and was amazed how smooth it was.

One vendor on here also was surprised how smooth the take up was.

Last week I did a conversion for a friend, reusing the original Saiga spring. It too had a slight gritty feel to it.

The only difference between the two builds was the spring.

I didn't polish it at all or put any lube or grease on any thing. Im a rookie at this so I just wanted to basically drop it in as is then go from there. As far as the trigger slap...im pretty sure I may have been hyper sensitive b/c at that point I was obsessing on the grittieness and really focussing on feeling the trigger.

Im planning on putting a few hundred more rounds through it this weekend so ill see how it feels after that. Should I add any grease or lube to anything other than normal lubing?