.410 won't chamber

Hi there :)

I'm a Saiga n00bie, and I'm having a bit of a problem.

I recently purchases what appears to be a very slightly used Saiga .410 from my local gun haunt a few weeks back. I followed some pretty decent online field stripping instructions. While I've never owned a Saiga before (or any auto loading shotgun for that matter), I'm fairly familiar with field stripping weapons. My only concern is getting the bolt back in correctly. That was a tad confusing.

So flash forward a couple weeks. The Saiga is cleaned and oiled (not much if any dirt in it anyway). I'm getting ready to take it out to the range for a test fire (finally), I pull the handle back and the shell jams at the breach. Is there supposed to be much of a feed ram on these things or could the yahoo before me have screwed the barrel in wrong or something? I mean it's really, really jammed in there so much that the shell is not even attempting to lift into the breach of the barrel. The bolt comes forward and pins the shell.

Here's a pic of the breach. Sorry it's so crumby.

IMG00255-20110312-1202.jpg

Here's a pic of how the shell jams:

IMG00256-20110312-1207.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the 15 round Surefire magazine that came with it. The only shells I have to try are Remington 3". The magazine is a 3". I have some of those Bear metallic shells coming in the mail soon, would that help?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Fiver

are you sure the bolt is in right? take the bolt carrier/gas piston and bolt assembly out. if the bolt is in right, it should slide forward and rotate when you tip the piston end down, and slide back freely and rotate back when you tip the piston end up.

i have a surefire mag, and i have had some misfeeds with the remington 410 ammo. try some other ammo, see if that helps.

another thing to keep in mind, i believe surefire mags are designed to be inserted into the fun on an open bolt. on the right hand side of the receiver, next to the trigger, you should see a small grey/black button extending out of the bottom of the receiver. tuck the saiga under your arm or rest it on a table/bench, and pull the charging handle back with your left hand. use your right hand and push up on the bolt hold open button, and then let the bolt slide forward until it engages the BHO lever. now put the mag into the gun, then pull the charging handle back and let it go. it should feed your shell into the chamber, and you are good to go!

good luck!

are you sure the bolt is in right? take the bolt carrier/gas piston and bolt assembly out. if the bolt is in right, it should slide forward and rotate when you tip the piston end down, and slide back freely and rotate back when you tip the piston end up.

i have a surefire mag, and i have had some misfeeds with the remington 410 ammo. try some other ammo, see if that helps.

another thing to keep in mind, i believe surefire mags are designed to be inserted into the fun on an open bolt. on the right hand side of the receiver, next to the trigger, you should see a small grey/black button extending out of the bottom of the receiver. tuck the saiga under your arm or rest it on a table/bench, and pull the charging handle back with your left hand. use your right hand and push up on the bolt hold open button, and then let the bolt slide forward until it engages the BHO lever. now put the mag into the gun, then pull the charging handle back and let it go. it should feed your shell into the chamber, and you are good to go!

good luck!

Thanks for the reply:) I'll try to check the bolt out again in the morning. I may have in there wrong (really with there were better pictures of these things). I did just try charging it after inserting the mag with the action open. Still jammed up. I'm seriously thinking i might have something there wrong, but its too late in the evening to screw with it now. Thanks again:)

OK checked the bolt, and it's in there right. When I work the action with the cover off you can see the bolt dropping and out of the slot just fine. I have not idea what's up shot of the ammo, maybe.

I still thought that this gun would have more of a feed ramp or something. It appears to be pushing the shell fine, but its getting stuck on a sharp angle at the mouth of the barrel.

OK figured something out. Could a mag HOLD 15 but only be meant to hold 10? After looking at how tightly the shells were in there (and there is no marking on the mag as to how many it actually holds) it looks like the follower presses the shells forward a bit starting at round 10.

Sooooo, I think I just goofed and over-fed it :rolleyes: When loaded up with 10, all shells chamber when I charge it.

Thanks, and please disregard the new guy :lolol:

Edited by FiveFiveFive

Ahhh . . . Brand new high capacity magazine. Didn't catch that in your original post otherwise I would have suggested under loading the mag. earlier. Use just ten for now. As the spring in the mag. gets worn in you will be able to put more and more shells in the mag. at once until in time you will be able to fill it all the way up or darn close, at least that is my experience with the high capacity magazines.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out the problem as soon as I saw your second picture. Those Surefire mags suck ass. I had one and it failed to feed every time. If you're hell bent on keeping it there is a thread on here about how to modify it. You need to file down some plastic to get the rim of the round to protrude more above the lip. I ended up sending mine back in exchange for factory mags.