Good morning all!

First, let me state I recently celebrated 28 years sober, hence my handle. I"m mostly into handguns and have 2 rifles a pre-1940 Mossberg 22 and a Ruger 10/22 I picked up to take my children out shooting with.

Just a few days ago I was a gun shop looking at Mini-14s and right next to it was a Saiga 223. The Rugers were going for between 750 - 950 but this was marked at $550.

It had a nice feel to it, seemed solid and was comfortable to hold, even my 14 year old liked it.

But, I'll admit, I know nothing about them. The store owner (new store, first time in there) telling me "Oh its a wonderful gun, you can't go wrong" just isn't enough for me to buy. After all he is biased to sell it.

I just found this site and will be doing more hunting, research etc, but any/all info such as:

Likes/dislikes

what to look out for?

what are usual prices etc will be greatly apprecited.

Thanks all for your help in advance and patience.

Bill

bill congratulations, I have 21 years myself. man time does fly by.

i use to have a ruger mini 14 some 15 years back. I found the main problem were the mags. ruger didn't used to have hi-capacity mags available and the ones that were after market were pricey...i am not sure if they do now you will have to check that out. I found the accuracy less then desirable (thin barrel got hot quick) but it did improve when i fire lapped the barrel. I still found that the groups would spread quickly once it heated up regardless. I really didn't like the choices of collapsible stocks at the time no tight lockup so i stayed with the rifle style stock. I went with the hogue over mold, nice rigid, great feel, a little heavy but not really an issue.

I am sure that things have changed and hopefully more options are out there. The mini-14 has a great reputation for reliability and is a quality product that will last a life time. i know some friends are very happy with it as a good truck gun out to 100yards. they just keep them stock and beat the heck out of them with no ill effects.

I prefer the saiga as i have three: 12 gauge shot gun, 7.62 and .223. i have converted all three. i like the Ak platform as i prefer the pistol grip and feel of the AK, the after market parts are abundant ( sometimes too much to choose from) and one can customize to their liking, proven combat reliability, easy to shoulder, cheap mags--although the .223 version's mags can be a little pricey depending on which way you go (ie orlite or used galil steel mags). Relatively decent accuracy, still not a tack driver but not something you really have to uber tweak to get good results. I don't find that the groups spread as much once the barrel gets hot. I have shot mine 100 and 200 bench controlled shots 20 round series about 3 to6 seconds between shots and still had decent grouping, it will shot .223 and 5.56 rem with no issues.

I am sure other will chimne in with more info.

I hope this helps

Welcome Bill 15years myself.

The Saiga I currently own 2, 223 and 308 was a lil worried that I wouldent like the stamped recivier LOVE IT its nothing but fun, cheap price, ammos cheap really on target

Tons of cheap quality after market parts the only reason i did not get the 7.62x39 is that I have 2 SKSs you may want to look at that as well Big-5 has NIBUI new in box unissued $499

and i paid less then that for the saiga 223 w/21''barrell I really think the saiga is a good gun and everybody that shoots it is suprized and loves it.

Also check out the gun broker .com i buy and sell tons of stuff thier so far 165 transactions not 1 problem. Good luck.