Final stage of conversion done.

Here is the final outcome of my conversion. Been a while coming and got it done today. Started drilling the stuff after lunch and got done around midnight. Was a lot of fun.

Saiga .308

SGM Muzzle flash hider, stock and fore grip.

Surefire Mag.

Tapco G2 trigger and hammer.

Houge grip.

Swapped out the gas piston, the hammer sprig as well.

The scope is pretty cheap but does the job needed, plan on getting a pro one later on when I grow up and start making the big bucks.

The grip is a G.P.S or Grip Pod System military grade. Fell in love with that when on vacation in the middle east.

dsc0188b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will toss it on a scale pretty soon for you boys but it sure doesn´t feel to heavy to me. Yeah also that is a scope extension. The range I use has the afternoon sun go down right in front of us so this comes in handy. this is a cheap scope again, do not have the budget yet to get what I want but recommend http://www.opticstalk.com/ or similar sites for those thinking about a scope for theirs. Stay shy of the known bad scopes like Barska and such. They really cant handle good a big caliber like the 308.

I will toss it on a scale pretty soon for you boys but it sure doesn´t feel to heavy to me. Yeah also that is a scope extension. The range I use has the afternoon sun go down right in front of us so this comes in handy. this is a cheap scope again, do not have the budget yet to get what I want but recommend http://www.opticstalk.com/ or similar sites for those thinking about a scope for theirs. Stay shy of the known bad scopes like Barska and such. They really cant handle good a big caliber like the 308.

Yea, sunshade.

That's one of the things that irks me about the newer production POSPs, they don't have a built in slide out sunshade. Luckily the PO model NPZs still do.

You could probably get a flashkill for it that would sit inside of a pop up cover. I forget who it was that makes those.

I have to have them on almost all my optics, especially red dots.

My experience with the honeycomb flashkills is that they work better than a fairly long sunshade.

I don't think the saiga 308 is going to recoil hard enough to kill most optics. Mine seemed fairly soft shooting. I've had a barska survive a long day on the saiga 12 with 3" magnums before. I just don't like an american style scope on a russian gun.

As for weight, it's mainly those UTG mounts+rings where the weight starts to add up fast. Don't know why those morons added a rail to the side of the UTG mount when they designed it, tears the hell out of your shirt if you have it slung. I wrapped black tape around mine the first time I took it to the range, and retired it shortly after lol.

Edited by Tombs

Yeah my forearm on this one is SGM quad rail, it weights around 2 pounds so I will be replacing it some day. Also the SGM buttstock connector piece is flawed as is since they didnt provide a replacement for the metal connector that sticks down from it. Chooped mine up so it wouldnt hit my hand when shooting but will never go for the SGM grips or butt stock again on my next rifles. Also the spring in the buttstock lock is to weak and kept getting loose when shooting making it collapse every round. I put a couple of washers into the hole where you put the spring in to push it more up to add tension, going to try it out today but like I said, not buying stuff again that makes me have to fix it right away again. SGM mags is what they should just focus on since they cant get anything else right. The muzzle flash hider is way to heavy as well IMO. They really should have cut down on the weight of that thing. But oh well, you learn as you go doing those conversions. CSS really needs to add a review block under all their items, it would greatly help the customers. Will call em today and mention that.

Cut that aluminum piece up so it is not hitting my hand anymore, worked fine, just need to paint it black. Called SGM and e-mailed em about the collapsing stock issue and they are sending me a new spring. Hope that will solve but I do think the old spring is not rigid enough letting the lock go loose on the recoil. The recoil on my saiga though is less then on a SCAR .308, a guy had one at the range and was so impressed with the .Saiga that I think I got another one hooked. :)