Reloading a Saiga20

Hi guys, New member here..

Ive had 12ga Saigas, standard - no mods, and never could load a full mag with the bolt closed.. always had to lock the bolt open, and then put the mag in.

i have heard that the 20ga is more like an AK in that you can load a full mag with the bolt closed ? and more importantly, without any modifications - but i have never found any info confirming this.. wondering if you guys can

Thanks in advance

Fenix

Hi again,

I have a S-20 built in 2006 and a S-12 built in 2009. The bolts on the newer S-12s are manufactured in a configuration that does allows mag insertion and loading on a closed bolt with some effort. However, there still is a great deal of benefit and increased performance that can be achieved by smoothing and polishing the the S-12 bolt, which I higly recomend.

As I mentioned earlier my S-20 did not allow mag insertion and loading on a closed bolt. I found the information on modding the S-20 bolt for closed bolt mag insertion on several of the threads in the technical section of this forum. It isn't hard to find if you do a search. I use Google to search the forum because it does a better job than the search engine on this site. The threads have several good photos that help you understand how to do the mod. I accomplished the mod over several days of reworking the bolt and test firing at my local range. I don't know how to post links or I would post them for you. I am very pleased with this mod. I can now very easily load a mag against the closed bolt with minimal effort. I've shot about a 1,000 rounds throught the S-20 and can't detect anything negative about the mod.

If I can be of any help, let me know....

I have an 07 S-12 and a 99 S20.

I can load a full mag on a closed bolt on both.

the S-20 is more rifle like than the S-12. But both can be Rock n. locked without modification.

The KEY is to minimize the rocking distance. I.E. insert the mag at the shallowest angle of attack possible to get the front lug engaged. After that, rock it in and go.