Plum VS Bakelite

Bakelite is more brittle than modern polymer. Better? D

epends on what you are looking for. More valuable? Probably the Bakelite mags, but don't quote me. The durability of either is fine, but I imagine the plums are a little better in that department. I've never had any real problems with either, but I just shoot at the range.

Edited by bigj480

Bakelite mags were the first series made for the 5.45. i believe they are made of AG-4 phenolic resin if im not mistaken. they have the metal lip reinforcement, rear locking lug and floorplate. Tula even made them for the AKS-74U. they were replaced in the early 1980's.

the second series of mags were the shiny plum ones. Izhmash and tula both made them. the shades will vary from maroon to almost black. the exterior finish can be a glossy type to semi-gloss.

the third ones made were the matte plum models. Izhmash is the only ones i know of that made them. same as above, but the finish is a non reflective satin deal. these ones are pretty common. sometimes hard to tell the difference without the right lighting.

the current production models are all black polymer construction with metal reinforcements in the usual places. these are usually identified by the inkstamp "4" near the front locking lug. and the plum ones are maked with a "M".

i guess any of the ones from the tula arsenal will generally fetch more money, but good luck finding them. the true black ones will likely bring a pretty penny as well if you can come across them. as far as durablilty goes, i dont see any reason why one would be better than the other. now the bakelites were dropped partially due to camoflauge issues. not reliability. i have 3 of the 30rd. mags and they perform flawless. as do all of my russian mags. if you dont want to fork out the cash then your best bet would be to get the bulgy ones. id avoid gun broker if you can. you may or may not come across a decent deal, but chances are they will be expensive.