So now that I have the guns I want, (except for a .50BMG and a .300MAG), I want to get a Bow. However, I hear these are finicky little creatures, difficult at best, frustrating at worst. I was curious if there were any Bow-man on the forum that could help me learn what I need to know before I decide to go in yet another direction and start preparing for archery competition. Let me know if you're there, and then I'll start asking questions. Thanks!

Ok, here's the questions...kinda general. First, are bows difficult to learn to shoot WELL? Is it something I can pick up and practice and get good, or do I need a teacher? Are bows relatively easy to maintain, or do they break all the time? I know when I have questions about guns, I have a plethora of forums and gun-shops to go to, but if I have questions about bows are there forums? Or archery shops where people really know their stuff? Is 3D Bow competition a practical endpoint for someone who's never shot a bow? Thanks

im here too, ive owned 3 compound bows if ya need help ask.

it will be hard at first and you probaly want it to have a lower poundage, dont start with somthing 60-70 more like 40-50 pounds.

will you be shooting with sights or instinct.

Edited by bluto

DEFINATELY with sights, speaking of which, what kind would you recommend. I probably won't get into Bows until at least Christmas, but I wanted to go ahead and start asking what I should be looking for so I know what to put on Santa's wish-list. I'm 5'11", so should I get one of the shorter lengthed ones do you think? Thanks

For me, bows were easy to learn. If you can shoot a gun, you shouldn't have any problems. Get something cheap to start with & go from there.

You don't need a teacher. Just practice. A few tips from the local bow shop always helps. I know Gander Mountain will check out your stuff for free (check & adjust weight and recommend arrow length & weight)

Yes, low weight and high let off (if compound) are big plusses for accuracy. Especially for hunting where you have to hold your draw for more than 30 seconds.

Mainly find something with the proper draw length, weight & let-off. Find arrows that shoot well - that match the bow. (Not too heavy or too light)

Bows are very reliable if taken care of.

I've shot a few 3D courses and it's lots of fun. My co-worker shoots an indoor league with video screens. Another used to do long range olympic style competition. Big bucks on equipment there.

As for sights, I use fiber-optic pins on my PSE. Been looking at the red-dot scopes with the adjustable mount (just click it to your yardage). The fiber-optic pins work well for hunting, but not needed for shooting during normal daylight. Also have a peep-sight installed in the string.

You'll want a release if you go the compound route.

Ok, here's the questions...kinda general.  First, are bows difficult to learn to shoot WELL?

Depends on what "WELL" means to you. I've had bows since 3rd grade (real, not suction cups on rubber arrows.) I've never competed, never plan to, but have had countless hours of enjoyment shooting.

Is it something I can pick up and practice and get good, or do I need a teacher?
I never had a coach or instructor, but did read (yup, even as a kid) a lot about shooting. Would I be shooting better if I had a coach? Sure, the hands on instruction would obviously be of benifit. That said, once tuned up and set, I can confidently kill any pie plate out to 50 yards EASY. :haha:
Are bows relatively easy to maintain, or do they break all the time?

The bow I shoot now is one I've owned for +10 years. It does need tuned up from time to time (less than 1 time a year at worst). I never invested in the tools to do a tune (scale, bow-square, etc...) so I do need a pro-shop for help in that respect but since I drop a fair amount in arrows they treat me right.

Arrows are the "disposable" part. They're good for multiple shots, don't get me wrong, but a lot of stress is put on that aluminum and like all else in life stress wins.

I know when I have questions about guns, I have a plethora of forums and gun-shops to go to, but if I have questions about bows are there forums?
I'm sure there's forums, but why bother finding 'em? I've found a lot of folks that shoot guns also enjoy "Stick-n-string" shooting.
Or archery shops where people really know their stuff?

Yup, but like gunshops, you'll also find the windbag-know-nothing-masters out there too.

Best of luck. Hope you take it up, it's a Hellova lotta fun.

My setup;

Martin Magnum Linx

*Cam compound)

*50 % let-off

*65 lb pull

5 pin site (learn to "Stack")

Peep site on string

Fingers (Never liked using a release)

and only sissies wear those fore-arm guards ;)

Edited by M15A4spr
Yup, but like gunshops, you'll also find the windbag-know-nothing-masters out there too.

+1 on that!

My setup is:

PSE Carroll Intruder

50% let-off - 72 lb draw

Goodies:

4 pin Cobra Sight

Bodoodle Zapper 400 arrow rest

Peep sight on string

Stabilizer

PSE Top Gun 6 arrow quiver

Ultra-Nok string loop

Carbon Express 400 Arrows

125 grain Thunderheads (Deer)

Tru-Fire Release

-gotta have - protects fingertips from going numb (nerve damage)

and increases my accuracy.

Lose you yet???

Edited by dinzag

i have a pse typhoon with a maximum 60 lb draw with a wisker biscut ,fiber optic sightsand i got it all for around 250$ because bass pro shop gave me a package deal but the bow was screwd up and they kept trying to fix it. so there manager gave me it for cheap

i also shoot instinctivly with recurves and homade bows

ive had bows since i was 6 years old