Remington 17s Special Police

I don't know much about this gun, have never even seen a photo of it. First read about it in a Leroy Thompson article in the 90's in a piece on virtues of the fighting 20 guage. Apparently, it came (pre-NFA days) with a 15.1" barrel, and a pistol grip. The 17 was a smaller framed pump gun in 20 only, a JMB design (IIRC) that had all the features and look of what we envision of an Ithaca today (bottom load/eject, where the barrel attaches to the mag tube, single action bar, etc.). I have tried to find more info ever since, to no avail. I know you guys are shotgun experts and not of the duck hunting or sporting clays variety, so this might be my last hope short of contacting Remington. The MI AOW thread got me thinking, hopefully someone here could fill me in.

I once read an Oklahombres article (no longer online) on Clyde Barrow, his street cannons, and the various clever to theatrical methods he devised to CCW and speed draw them. While known for his BARs (and V-8s), along with various other revolvers and mostly Colt automatics, Clyde was definately a shotgun man. While he and the boys would often obtain sporting shotguns and give them the hacksaw treatment to front and often back, most notably the M-11 whipits in 12, 16, and 20 gauge, Model 10 in 12 gauge, Winny model 12 in 16 gauge, what appears to be a Somebody & Somebody (not H&R) single barrel with top lever like a double, 'CB+BP' carved into the side like on a picnic table (this weapon is the subject of an entire book, of which have been unable to obtain) looking as much like the gun of a desperate junkie as it does today. But Clyde was a true gun nut (look at the list of their earthly blongings, nothing but guns, a saxaphone and some camping equipment) and did obtain numerous factory combat shotguns of his time and previous (including a even then super rare 10 gauge lever 1887 Winchester, model 11 Riot or Special Police auto, Model 31 Riot, and at least one 1897 Riot. One article I read (relating to the 1967 film) claimed he carried what could be described as an Auto & Burglar/AOW configured (whether by him and a saw, or a factory to sell to folks to defend themselves from men like him, IDK) I've already gotten way off topic to talk about his conceal and deploy methods for his sawed offs ('Scattergun' is what he called the chopped and channelled BARs), but anyway I believe this article made mention of him using this model, if not another in an old Machine Gun News.

I Imagine it would look similar to an Ithaca Stakeout, only with lower profile reciever and mabe an inch extra in the front. I know plastic was in use on grips of pistols in those days, but on a shotgun, I really have a hunch it may have been in wood. Maybe a dedicated, vertical profile, or perhaps the shape of those Bird's head or Hogleg style aftermarket ones you get today.

All I know is it had to be super rare. AFAIK, this was the only combat/fighting/defensive variant of the Model 17, from what I gathered by judging barrel lengths (well above 20" and below 28") of all models I've seen, it was intended as a youth, or featherweight waterfowl gun. I really love the guns of crime and law enforcement of that time period but have been able to uncover zilch on this one (which may have been the first factory pistol grip pump, though I heard of a reverse cocking Spencer model in the 1800's that may have had one, poor wording). Moreover as an AOW, or even if it is an SBS has to be C&R, legally speaking, this could be available NFA in my state. Tracking down, and paying for something so obviously rare is another story. Let alone that's a lot of trouble to go thru and sacrificing privacy, over just 3" of barrel. I'd be happy with just a picture for now, honestly

Just curious if anyone has info on this cool old fighting 20 gauge, of which those that were made probably saw lots of action, whether by some Irish dick blowing a locked door then entering, no SWAT to watch his 6 just old time balls, or some Prohibition era Irish or Italian gangster's bodyguard hanging back during a negotiation over bootlegging territory, impeccably concealing that he has a damn pump shotgun in his topcoat. I love that shit. Plus, on this site we all like the monstrosities, these big, heavy, evil black shotguns from Italy and South Africa, Korea, Turkey, wherever that look like beefed up MBRs, with controls galore and everything else. They are cool, and impressive in firepower. But if it came down to needing one, I'd take this any day (with a full stock, no question). I favor the S-12 because Kalashnikovs are my rifle of choice. If they were not, I'd be running a bead sighted 18" Mossy 930 HS and nothing on it.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this CQB shotty from the Roaring 20's