WTK: Old vs new Magazine release

Well... After years of running my S12 SBS with a factory magazine release, I'm interested in replacing the factory mag catch with an extended mag catch from JT. I have a 1998 Kalashnikov USA import and noticed that the spring and rear contact surface of this 'older' S12 is different than even the more recent imports. In addition the actual original lever is shorter than the more recent imports.

For reference, the old style mag release has a typical coil spring (similar to a firing pin spring) that presses against the back top of the mag release to create the tension.

My question is, Is this 'old' style S12 mounting point/receiver block compatible with the new parts? I'm guessing yes... But can't seem to get the pin to easily come out......... And the pin....... Holy $@ it's in their tight. Even with penetrating oil and hitting the pin MUCH MUCH harder than the gas block pins... It doesn't budge. So before I continue down the removal/T&E with the newer parts, i'm hoping that someone can confirm the compatibility. I'd rather just leave the old pin if there is a difference in the receiver block.

Any guidance is appreciated.

1998S12MagRelease.jpg

1998S12MagReleaseSpring.jpg

I am sitting here looking at my 08 and damn you have a short mag release are you sure that was not done when your gun was converted? As for the new mag release the mounting tab looks the same and since this is the first I have heard of this question I would bet that it will work.

I bought this fun NIB in 1998 directly from the importer (Kalashnikov USA) when the were initially showing them at a Tampa Bay gun show. I waited six years and then personally converted this shotgun the month after the AWB expiration. So, I know this is magazine release is factory because I removed the shotgun NIB from the box. I have no clue why it would be that short, but my original 12C LEO from 1999 has the newer style release as have all of my other S12s.

From what I see in my other S12s, I have the same opinion as you... That the receiver block is the same... But that pin is almost comical it is in there so tight. No other S12 I have ever disassembled has ever been as tight as this one... Which makes me wonder if there is something that I dont know or am overlooking on this older model.

That's the reason for this thread; before I put attempt to use a hydraulic press to remove the pin, I'm hoping that Tromix or Danzig or other 'old school' forum members have seen or worked with of these and can provide a definitive answer.

Edited by RDSWriter