Eagle Industries Universal SKD rig VS Shihan chest rig

Let me start off by saying that the price of these 2 units is significantly different, with the Shihan retailing for around $140, and the Eagle Universal going for between $70-80, so keep that in mind when reading my review. Also, I have no military experience toting shit around, I just use these to simplify "logistical matters" when I'm going to shoot bottles in the woods. I bought the Shihan on theakforum a while back, I think I paid $115 shipped for it and a set of poker chips. I picked up the Universal on thehighroad for $55 shipped. Both were new, as far as I can tell. I bought the Shihan because I thought it would be good to have a chest rig that I could use for surplus AK mags, S12 mags, G3 mags, etc. Honestly, it works great for the AK and S12 mags, not so great for the G3 mags (they're too short for the pockets, I use Vietnam era M16 mag pouches for those now). My dilemma started when my sheer laziness and consumerism led me to conclude that I should buy another chest rig so that I didn't have to swap out AK mags for Saiga mags and vice versa when I wanted to go shoot different guns. Anyway, here's my thoughts.

I bought the Universal with the idea of using it for S12 mags, even though its not advertised as such. The mags fit in the pockets, they're a bit tight, but its not a big deal. The two pockets second from outside on each side came with straps with velcro, but they weren't long enough for the 10 round AGP mags, so I took them off. They're easily reinstalled, there's a buckle inside the pouches. I'm in the process of procuring some shock cord, which I will loop through the existing straps on the front, to secure the mags.Initial thoughts, construction looks sturdy, drain holes in all pockets, easily adjustable, but still secure. I don't really know what I'm going to use the two pockets on the outside for, They will fit 10 round mags, but they are too low, and interfere with bending at the waist (I wear the rigs low, right above my waist). Some people say that you can use them as a pistol holster, but I it would have been just as well with some MOLLE loops in their place.

2011-10-01134511.jpg

2011-10-01134611.jpg

2011-10-01134624.jpg

2011-10-01134711.jpg

The Shihan fits S12 mags great, but I like it for the fact that it will hold 8 AK mags securely, as well as 4 pistol mags. With Glock 17 mags, the pistol mag pouch is perfect, its a little deep for Glock 23 mags, or something of similar length. I really like the MOLLE loops on the sides, initially I had a pistol holster, but have since switched to a drop leg holster. I've attached a flashlight pouch and a radio pouch that acts as a flask holder on the sides.

2011-10-01134907.jpg

2011-10-01134924.jpg

2011-10-01134938.jpg

2011-10-01134951.jpg

2011-10-01135045.jpg

2011-10-01135142.jpg

The main complaints I have with the Universal is that it has the ability to accept larger mags, but they didn't make any arrangements to secure them. Hell, the two center pouches don't have any kind of strap or cord to secure any kind of mag. I'll have to address this myself. Also, the pistol mag pouches are a bit shallow, and the flaps (one flap for two mags) have a little bit of trouble staying secure with Glock 17 mags, but work great with the 23 mags, complete opposite of the Shihan. Otherwise, the two rigs are almost identical. The straps on the Shihan are a bit beefier than the Universal, and also have a couple of plastic loops, which I hang earplugs on. I'll update this when I get the shock cord situation straightened out on the Univeral rig.

I can honestly say, the Shihan is the better rig, but it also costs twice as much (retail or on the individual market, by my observations). Both rigs hold 4 pistol mags, YMMV from rig to rig, depending on what kind of pistol you shoot. For what the Eagle costs, I think its a great value, it will hold 4 AK mags, 8 M16 mags, 4 Saiga 12 mags, and whatever you decide to stuff in the funky pockets on the outside. On the other hand, the Shihan will hold 8 AK mags, 4 Saiga 12 mags, I think 8 or 12 M16 mags. For a truly universal rig, the Shihan is the way to go.

• Like 1

Thanks dude. That means something coming from you, I know how you are about gear. Here's some pics of what I rigged up. Nothing fancy, just some shock cord and paracord. All the points where I ran the cord were existing, I didn't have to add anything to the set up, other than the cord. I used paracord as an easy way to remove the shock cord retention from the magazines.

2011-10-04221631.jpg

2011-10-04221736.jpg

I figured if I have to sacrifice capacity and portability based on the size of a 12 gauge hull, then why not make up for it with an overabundance of sidearm ammo? I can only realistically carry about 100 rounds of 12ga in loaded mags, but I can easily double the amount of 9mm I can carry by using the 33 round mags in the extra pockets. I hate carrying boxes of ammo out into the woods, I'd rather load it all up and then ride out.

2011-10-04221709.jpg

ETA: I guess I have to give the Universal one extra point on the fact that it can easily carry large pistol mags, like the 33 rounders. There is nothing I could see being done to a Shihan to allow the comfortable carry of additional 9mm mags, without going as far as strapping mag pouches on the front MOLLE loops, which is a bit overboard, in my book.

Edited by elvis christ

Good review beer.gif

I don't have much to add, I'm happy with my TT-MAV rigged for AK's and don't use anything for the S12. Well written though 032.gif

Dude,I just looked that thing up, pretty awesome, but christ, how big are those large pouches? They're dwarfing the AK/M4 pouches, so they must be huge! Do they get in the way of bending at the waist? (I'm not gay, the only reason I ask is because I have to bend over to fish beer out of the cooler, and I don't like magazines poking me in the pelvis/leg)

Also, how does it wear after a few hours? It looks like its got a straight web strap on the shoulders. Here's what I was thinking you're talking about, BTW.

TT%20MAV%201-Piece%20Complete%20multicam.jpg

I don't know what kind of mag pouches those are, really they look more like utility or something else, belted ammo maybe.

This is my AK rig with HSGI Taco's and optional X harness:

TTMAV_AKSU.JPG

The TT MAV is really comfortable even with a sidearm and 5 mags, but part of that is due to the X harness which is padded. I went with the X after advice from a few people that also use a TT MAV, based on their experience it's more comfortable as the weight increases. In the classes I've taken it's been great and feels really secure. Taco's FTW btw, hard to find better AK pouches IMO.

BCS makes an S12 mag rig too I found out, seems interesting. They solve the shock cord problem by having a deeper mag pouch it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVmw8FoXfTo

Z

Edited by TX-Zen