Just removed FSB but now for the gas block(tips?)

Not sure of the best way to knock off the gas block? (my search didn't turn up much on the subject)

Any tips or tricks you've found short of just beating the heck out of it?

I was sloppy with the FSB and put few dings on my barrel, and want to try to do the gas block a little more civilized..

Thanks fellas!

super easy with a shop press. and even easier putting it back on after the retainer. i took a beat up retainer, drilled out the pin from the side, put handguard on the the retainer without the pin. use as guide to drill through for retainer. remove and replace gas block, easy since the pin hole is your easy way to make sure it's gtg.

Ended up slicing two seams down either side. I was worried about hitting the barrel so I didn't get it down far enough to crack apart, but it loosed a little bit and I was able to whack down off the end of the barrel.

super easy with a shop press. and even easier putting it back on after the retainer. i took a beat up retainer, drilled out the pin from the side, put handguard on the the retainer without the pin. use as guide to drill through for retainer. remove and replace gas block, easy since the pin hole is your easy way to make sure it's gtg.

Thanks finishman,

I was about to ask about the HG retainer. I don't have a set yet, and wasn't sure if I should wait to cut the barrel notch until after I had them.

Not lining up too well when the HG retainer is pushed all the way towards receiver.

HGhereorhere2.jpg

Edited by geofri

The retainer isn't supposed to be pushed back as far as it goes into the positioning slots. You should install a piece of furniture and get the retainer marked where it is snug against the furniture. If the furniture you want to use has a tensioner spring (most surplus AK wood does), then it's not as much of an issue whether you get the retainer positioned perfectly within sub-millimeter measurements.

Personally I like when the retainer is tight enough that with furniture installed, it requires a bit of effort to manipulate the locking cam. If there is no tension on the retainer, the cam lever can just flop around.

I just noticed you said you don't have any handguard. You'd be best to wait until you do. The retainer will be just about lined up with the gas tube retainer once you've got furniture installed.

Edited by mancat