What kind of wood is Bulgarian 74 furniture?

I bought a couple sets from the WTS section, and would like to make a wood Pistol Grip to match the beautiful refinished set I got. Obviously that is gonna work better with the same kind of wood. I plan to shape the grip similar to the MD Molot grip or a slimmer Yugo grip. I want this gun to look pretty much traditional '74. It's an IZ 108 and I will leave the top tube alone.

For the IZ 108: post-17871-0-59678900-1320451017_thumb.jpg

I would also appreciate tips on how to strip and refinish the stock from the "good" condition set, and make it match the hazel colored fore-end. If it isn't too complex, I think it would look really cool to stain the groove a forest green(not going for OD), and the corresponding area on the bulge of the fore-end, and do the lettering highlights to match like Juggernaut's. This gun was originally intended to have a self made aluminum stock, but I don't have access to the equipment to make that anymore, so I switched to wood. I know the modern lines of the grip, trigger guard and magwell don't really go with classic wood. I had considered sanding the wood down and staining it all grey with blue accents to emphasize that it is intended to be more of a race gun than traditional. I am open to suggestions. Note. I will keep the grip, and trigger guard. (those will get lightened and contoured when I have some shop time) I am also planning to cut the stock and mount it to an ACE folder I have.

post-17871-0-18740100-1320450796_thumb.jpgpost-17871-0-76890200-1320450830_thumb.jpg

Also if you hate what I am doing, fine, but spare me the rant. Thanks guys.

Without a good look at the grain, I'd guess beech or birch. Both have a very subtle grain pattern though beech has a tendency to show "fish scales" on rounded sections and birch may show iridescent "flames" when oiled. Beech, I think, is most common as a solid-wood stock material for Eastern Bloc guns. It also has a "blonde" look when given a clear finish, and I have heard of Bulgarian furniture being thus described. Looking at AZG's folding stock thread, I think I see some fishscales on one of his stocks, so, if yours are similar, I'd guess beech.