Greetings!

I was able to snag my Saiga 12 last week. I love it right out of the box, but won't have the chance to shoot it for about three weeks yet.

I've already been able to get so much good info on conversions and such via this forum, I decided to join.

I had waffled back and forth briefly as to whether to covert or just snag an external block stock and grip set....but when I look at my Polish AKMS (which I love deeply) and the pictures of everyone else's converted Saiga 12's, I know I have to take the plunge.

The fellows from Tromix are just down the road a ways, but their plate is full for so long, I'm leaning towards a DIY job; that being said:

I've watched a number of videos on the subject and the one thing I'd like to hold off on (jus cuz of space available, and cash, dudes smile.png )is aquiring a bunch of shop-grade power tools...with that in mind, I would be happy to hear from anyone willing to recommend particular components ot kits. Of course, I'll search the posts first.....you know what I mean.

Thanks again this close to Thanksgiving.

Go to carolina shooter supply. Greg has kits with everything you need for a DIY. Fast shipping. If I were you I would take the gun and shoot it before the conversion to make sure everything works the way it's suppose to. When u do the conversion go back and look at the bids on CSS website for reference. It's not really hard to do if you have a little common sense and some mechanical skills. I did mine in about 2 hours.

It's all about what you want as your end result.

I suggest shopping through carolina shooter's supply and mississippi auto arms primarily.

Stay away from promag, aliance armament, and other super cheap stuff

I think products by Tromix, MD arms, and Chaos are always good choices.

I run a hogue grip a chaos quad rail with HK style sights, and use APG 10 rounds magazines and MD arms 20RND drums. I had an undergassed gun and used the KA puck in the past and now use a MD booster puck and MD Gas Plug. I have a tromix charging handle extension and modified trigger group, I had an ace stock reciever block and folding mechanism now I'm using a pignose adapter an ATI receiver extension and a Mako group recoil absorbing stock; I love my set-up and recommend any of the products I've used aside from the Twister pucks which I wouldn't suggest.

It's hard to tell you what to use and as you can see from my component swap outs your rifle is likely to evolve as you figure what you like and dislike for features.

To clarify I do like the KA puck and ACE stock but swapped the puck for one that helped make it easier for my gun to cycle being undergassed, I am thinking about trying the KA puck now that I have everything smoothed out and running better. The ace stock was swapped only because I wanted to try an adjustable and recoil reducing stock I do think it serves that role better but the ace is simpler and I like the looks better

Edited by TARE

I've done several conversions and it takes me about 2 hours. The only tools I use are a dremel with a cut off wheel, hammer, and a screwdriver. Converting it yourself is a great experience and you'll probably be that much more attached to your gun.

I've done several conversions and it takes me about 2 hours. The only tools I use are a dremel with a cut off wheel, hammer, and a screwdriver. Converting it yourself is a great experience and you'll probably be that much more attached to your gun.

I paid about $691 (ouch) at budsgunshop.com. That is with the plus 3% non-cash price. I think they have some more in stock now for a pretty good bit less, LOL. Ain't that always the way? Never had anything but good service from bud's over the last five purchases....

OK, trying to reply to EMAN, it got put to dayofruin's post. Sorry, We'll educate ourselves on that an get it right (I hope) later on.

I have the Dremel, hammer and screwdriver already, so I'm psyched.... the DIY route definitely does build a connection....saw that from my Yugo SKS where all I did was put in a spring-loaded Murray's firing pin and refinish the furniture....

Thanks already for all the input. Warms the old grinch's heart. smile.png