I own a Saiga 7.62x39 and enjoyed so much I deiced to purchase the Saiga 12 (19" barrel and 4-gas ports). I added the Tapco hand guard with grip, and a tromix monster brake. I went out and shot it yesterday with the following:

00 Buckshot

#4 buckshot

birdshot

One gas setting 1, nothing cycled, on gas setting 2, 00 buckshot fired flawlessly, #4 buckshot failed once, and birdshot didn't cycle at all. I have read mixed things about what setting to shoot buckshot at, some posts state, setting 1, and others state setting 2. What is the consensus? On setting two, there was no damage to the internals of the gun.

Also, I read that in order to get the birdshot (or low power ammo) to cycle, I need to get a low recoil spring and a adjustable gas setting plug. Any thoughts on this? I was looking at the tac47 auto plug. Has anyone used this?

P.S. The Tromix monster brake was very impressive. There was hardly any kick, it was very similar to shooting the Saiga 7.62x39.

Thanks,

Phil

Fire it on the lowest setting that will allow the load to cycle. Since on 1 buckshot wouldn't cycle, and on 2 it would, that's the correct setting. You might also consider buying an aftermarket gas plug, like the one produced by Mike Davidson, so you can more finely tune the amount of gas vented from the barrel.

The auto plug is not a fix if the gun is under gassed. The AP allows a good running gun to cycle different types of ammo without having to adjust the plug.

First thing I would do is to violently hand cycle that puppy 2-300 times to help breaking in the new parts.

Cheaper then 200 rounds of high brass, and much easier on the shoulder.

Also add a MD booster puck before switching out the plug.

Edited by Jetmech

#1 Check the ports. How many, are they clear/unobstructed? In some cases, drilling another port or enlarging current ports is a excellent cure for a sluggish action.

#2 Clean-n-lube it thoroughly, check for and smooth any burrs, rough edges, shavings in the action. Lube it up, oil the bolt/FCG, grease the rails.

#3 Break it in. It cycles 00, great! Go have some fun and dump 300+ 00 thru it, this will smooth out any rough spots.

#4 Aftermarket Gas Plug, everyone seems to love the V-Plug right now... I've a older Gunfixer gas plug, works great.

#5 Aftermarket Gas Puck, I've tried 3-4 out, can't ascertain any significant difference between their individual effectiveness. Supposedly the MD Arms Booster has qualities which help an under gassed gun.

#6 Polish/re-contour the bolt. This is a really nice mod. Significantly cuts down on resistance/friction during the cycling of the action.

#7 Low power recoil springs on the recoil assembly & low power hammer spring. IMHO, a last ditch effort for the truly desperate.

OK, you have tried all the above, and perhaps a few I missed or that I just don't bother to consider.

Really want the gun to run as designed? Feed it a steady diet of full power/high brass ammo, this is what it was designed to shoot.

It was not designed to shoot low brass/low recoil, cheap assed bulk ammo. Give it what it wants.

If it doesn't eat low brass/low recoil right out of the box, it isn't a failure of the gun.

Mine has ate damned near everything I've ever fed it... Just lucky I guess.