So I have a 'hobby budget' that I've discussed on the forum before.. I put about $110 / month into my "hobby budget" which goes towards guns, ammo, and modifications. I just got started in this hobby about a year ago so up to this point I've spent money on the basic stuff like a good 20 gun safe, cleaning kits, magazines, ammo, etc.. for my (2) current guns.. Saiga 12 shotgun, Springfield XD(m) 45 pistol. I'm thinking of what to do next.. I could always use more ammo surplus (have about 200 rounds of 12 ga buck and 350 rounds FMJ .45 acp). Plus the rounds for practicing and getting better at shooting. The way I'm leaning right now is to build an AR slowly over time.. I think it'd be fun to slowly build it as money becomes available.. buy a lower now, upper later, etc.. What would you do w/ the money?

I'd like the AR for plinking and having a good home defense, shtf, etc weapon that even my wife could handle. She fired my brother's AR and had fun with it. I also like the tacticool looks of an AR and like the idea of stocking up on .223

What does a decent AR15 cost? Is it any less expensive to buy parts seperately? I could get something nicer if I bought parts seperately too, since I'd only be buying a few parts at a time.

thoughts?

If you shop you can find a 699$ bushmaster AR, gander mountain has them on sale a lot with Bushnell red dot for that price. I own a DPMS and love it, great gun and I paid 600$ new and have put over 3000 round throw it and it never missed a beat.

Edited by JC GoF

I'm not an AR guy. By that I mean I dont know all the ins and outs of ARs. From what I understand Daniel Defense, Novske, LMT, Colt, and maybe one or two others are considered "The Best" Why? I really have no idea since Im just getting into ARs myself but there are sertain things like the steel used to make the barrels are military grade. And from what I found out is tht its able to withstand longer prolonged full auto fire. As a civilian that doesnt really matter to me but to some folk it does. I'm sure there are other more important features.

Look around for a police Colt trade ins. I got one for a little over $650. All new "worthy" ARs run about $1000-$1500 +/- depending on accessories. Some even more if they are dedicated piston ARs.

While have no problems owning an AR or using one in a real situation I prefer my AKs. The reason being, for me personally, their accuracy is about the same. Benched, ARs are better but while running, jumping, climbing, moving and shooting....I have the same % of hits in about the same areas on the target. Also I find the AK fits me just as well as the AR and feels just as balanced. I dont find the sights to be a problem.

I would say get an AK74 and stock up on 5.45 surplus. Much cheaper. What it cost me to buy 420 rounds of Federal 62gr, green tip penetrators I could have bought 1080 rounds of 5.45.