.410 conversion and hicap test

Greetings fellow enthusiasts. I had the pleasure of taking several of my firearms out today for a road test. Among them was my recently converted .410. I ran Barnaul slugs and Remington #6 shot through the four round mags. They digested the 2 3/4" slugs and 3" shot rounds just fine. The same could not be said for the 2.1/2" #8 shot Winchester rounds. The Winchester rounds would rack and fire the first round but would not feed the next round in as the spent round was extracted. So much for the theory on new shotguns and mags. as concerns short shells.

The 10 round counter mags were a different story. The Barnual fits in the hicap mag at an odd angle resulting in difficulty in trying to load the mag in the shotgun much less feed reliably. With alot of hassle I finally got the magazine in with around 8 rounds of Barnaul loaded. Not surprizingly it did not feed reliably and even wedged and jammed inside of the magazine resulting in a failure to feed. Next I loaded the mag up with the 3" Remington #6. It fed an functioned flawlessly. I tried a second hicap magazine with the same results with both the Barnaul and Remington ammo. I then loaded the 2 1/2 inch Winchester ammo in. It jammed both in the hicap magazine and in the shotgun so no more short rounds for this .410.

.410 ammo is harder to find than the larger gauges. It also is just as costly as the larger gauge shells. I suspect if you can find reasonably priced US ammo in 2 3/4" and 3" the hicaps will work fine. As for the Barnaul slugs the jury is still out but it doesn't look good. I am not done experimenting but am running out of time before small game season opens. At least I know the 3" shot runs slick. Now if Tantal would just get that choke to me.........soon.

So there you have it. I don't know if this confirms your findings or you have had better luck with the Russian slugs and 2 1/2 fodder but would be interested in ammo feedback from others with the new .410 shotties.

Wolverine :smoke:

Thanks for the report Wolverine. Pretty much the same I have experienced with my older model 410. On the 2.5" shells they are supposed to work in the newer guns with a gas adjustment but you have to use the mags made for feeding the 2.5s They will not feed from a regular 3" mag. Last I checked CDNN still had some of the 2.5" mags for about $14.00 ea. You might also ask Tantal. I thought I had seen somewhere that the 10 rdrs are supposed to be "universal" and feed both. :unsure: If you are getting jams inside the mag I think you can just lube the followers with either silicon or graphite and it will fix that problem. It sure helped mine a lot. I just pushed my followers all the way down with a dowel and sprayed a little armorall down inside then worked the follower and pushed a wadded up paper towel down in there clean up the excess. They worked much better after that. I think it was GOB who said coloring the grooves with a pencil would yield similar results. If you want I will trade you a pre lubed and broken in 10 rdr and some Higher Ground hot sauce for one of those counter mags :D

I have not tried the Barnaul slugs in the 10 rdrs since the last disappointing field test but they work fine in my 4 rdrs.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took mine along to camp. I located a bunch of 3" rem shells around the house and after we installed our final sandbag against our new backstop I let her loose. 20 rounds later(in 20 or so seconds)...all I could thing was..how happy I would have been with one of these 10 years ago when I grew up around farm lands. My kids are gonna miss out.