Field Test on .223 Hicap Mags

Greetings fellow Saiga brothers.

Today I made it out to test my new Springfield Socom-16 along with two conversions and some hicap magazines for the .410 and .223 Saigas I own. I have commented on the Socom in the .308 section on my thread concerning ".308 Ammo". I also posted a thread in the .410 section on field test results for the shotgun magazines and ammo types.

I finally installed a bullet guide in one of my .223's. I also beveled the chamber to facilitate feed of the rounds from modified high capacity magazines. I have worked with metal and synthetic Galils and with a 30 round Bulgarian magazine in 5.56x45 (.223). The latter was selected based upon advice from Cobra 76 two.

Cobra continues to work with the metal Galils. I am not optimistic they will prove to be a good choice. Others here have used the synthetic Galils. I used JB weld to build up the front lip and even sealed them with a hardner but alas they do not stand up to the repetiton of metal rounds hitting them to get appropriate lift.

Still others have used AK 74 mags with the .223 as a high capacity solution. They are relatively inexpensive but usually require repacement of the follower with a Robinson in .223.

I tried Cobra's suggestion of trimming up the Bulgarian and it works like a charm. Kvar sells the Bulgarian .223 mags for $20 each.

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=202&1=204&3=12

I have done three of these already and have six new ones ready for modification sitting on my work bench. The mod consists of cutting down the two front rails to match the low cap mag: trimming the top of the feedlips ever so little and slightly trimming the bottom of the retaining tab that locks over the mag release lever.

If you are serious about this option and want advice on the mods contact either Cobra or myself so there is no misunderstanding or mistakes. Who said they don't make high capacity mags for the Saiga .223? THANKS COBRA!! YOU ROCK!!!

Wolverine :smoke:

5.56x45__.223_.jpg

Edited by Wolverine
If you are serious about this option and want advice on the mods contact either Cobra or myself so there is no misunderstanding or mistakes.

Wolverine, are you using the modified Bulgarian mags in the rifle with a bullet guide installed, or does this mod work in a stock Saiga .223?

Thanks

Moonlitin

If you are serious about this option and want advice on the mods contact either Cobra or myself so there is no misunderstanding or mistakes.

Wolverine, are you using the modified Bulgarian mags in the rifle with a bullet guide installed, or does this mod work in a stock Saiga .223?

Thanks

Moonlitin

I am using the modified Bulgarian with a bullet guide and beveled chamber entry as shown in the now famous conversion link posted by the Sheik. However, I designed the bullet guide such that a completely unmodified factory 10 round Saiga magazine will also snap right in. I did not want to hack on all the Saiga mags in addition to work on the rifle.

I did have the Galils working without a bullet guide by building a ramp of JB Weld on the lip of the Galil but as I suspected they do not hold up under repeated use.

So far the only hope for using a high cap without mods lies with BattlefieldG3's pending project using Ruger mags. I have a second NIB .223 I am going to leave stock waiting for BRG3's product if he decides to bring it to market. Since it is a second rifle I can be patient as BRG3 decides what he will produce in what timeframe. He has met with some frustration which can be found in his threads on this forum. However, I believe this project is still on the docket.

Wolverine

• 2 months later...
So...no chance of altering the rifle itself so that unmodified Galil mags work?

-

Only to the extent that a bullet guide is installed. The modification of the synthetic Galil is minor (a protruding rib or rail closest to the feed must be removed) but necessary in order to insert the mag. into the well.

This does not mean that someone with better engineering skills and equipment might not be able to modify the magwell to accept an unmodified Galil. However, because of the flat top design (with low rise relative to the bolt) and feed system of the Galil, shells are not always properly stripped and loaded into the chamber as needed. Whereas the design of the Bulgarian mag with its' more rounded top permits the shells to sit higher for more reliable stripping and feeding of the rounds.

A properly modified Bulgy is tight. Galils can be made tight too but only by building up the rear locking tang with some JB Weld. However, there is a big difference in how high or low the mags sits in the mag well as described above.

Hope this helps.

Wolverine :smoke: