Picking a good conversion package for the .308?

After being away from the Saiga for a few years and even then shooting them in stock form, I finally landed a clean, used Saiga .308 with 16" barrel. I mainly want a US (for compliance reasons) pistol grip stock on it. I'm waffling back and forth in terms of the restoration as I call it, rather than a conversion, back to a more AK like configuration. Cost is a factor as well. As much as I'd like to put a $200-300 stock set on and send it out for barrel threading and a high end flash suppressor (more important to me than a brake) that just ain't happening. My tool kit consists of hand tools and a drill press.

Goals are:

Stock: Pistol grip of course, but I'd kind of like something in a folder for ease of stowage and transport. I can live with adding the folding mechanism later. As much as I don't care for T6 type stocks on an AK I can appreciate the ability to adjust the LOP for varying gear and conditions. Or just go with a Warsaw stock and be done with it. I also want a stock that will handle the .308 reasonably and not exceed what the stock stock (no pun intended) delivers. What are some of the stocks, both in no conversion and conversion format, that strike the best balance between cost and providing solid service? Something like this form the Saiga-12 store? http://saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP004&cat=16 for non conversion?

FCG: Having read the sticky on issues with the safety in the .308 conversions I am a little concerned about the FCG in doing a conversion. I don't have access to a shop with welding gear, etc., to just weld on a little bump to the safety. Is there a way to tweak this or is there an improved safety lever available that alleviates the issue? I actually have had good luck with the triggers on my past stock Saigas (.223 X2 and one .308) in that they were light enough and smooth, though perhaps a little roll to them. I can manage a smooth rolling trigger just fine, it's the heavy gritty ones I don't like. The Tapco G2 seems to be the most popular. Is there a reasonably priced alternative, particularly one you can get in a conversion kit with stock, et al?

One stop shopping: Any suggestions for good places online for a one stop, conversion shop? I'd rather just buy everything packaged together. I am aware of a few of the guys on here that have good reps, but would like to hear from those who have converted the .308 as to the best places/packages/components you've found.

Does anyone even make a flash suppressor with alternative and functional means of attaching other than threading? As I understand it, the .308 is the biggest PIA to cut and thread of all the Saiga.

In terms of sighting I'm probably just going to go with a QD side attach base. Any suggestions? I am most likely going to scope the carbine, but want the option of pulling the scope to use irons, or to swap the scope/mount with an electronic optic/mount for different applications. Armchair warrior version is scope for a DMR, 400 yard in rifle in coordination with the AR15 in CQB mode, but can be swapped out to a red dot for urban/CQB. A more practical version is the scope for general hunting over various ranges and benched with the bipod and swap out to the dot optic for heavy cover/hogs in cover and for informal run and gun games.

Actual purposes for the gun are pretty much the previous paragraph. Some bench/prone work with scope form 100-400 yards, perhaps some hunting if the opportunity ever arises, will be part of the game. Also as a SHTF heavy weapon (vs the 5.56) with better terminal ballistics at the above distances. Additionally, the short range play gun with red dot will also be an intended purpose. Or in SHTF terms, the Saiga could/would be pressed into play with the ARs for CQ and defensive actions. Probably a 50/50 or 60/40 split that could go either way in play time. Not trying to make the Saiga .308 a sniper rifle, just something that can be used at more than 50 yards and get some reasonable groups. Did I mention the aging eyes and progressive lenses, not to mention the bad (lifelong) astigmatism and cross dominance. I still managed to shoot expert those years in the Army, captain the battalion pistol team for three years, and place decently in some local competitions in rifle and pistol. But, I can tell you, it ain't hell to get old, just hell to feel that way. (Will be 55 in March.) Like I tell some folks, those Army years are like dog years, each one is like seven on your body. LOL. That's the long way of saying I thought of and tossed the idea of say a 1.5-5X scope as a do all. For any distance I want to be able to run up to 10 power or a tad more off the bipod. Though I have thought of something in the 2-7X range or maybe something higher with a micro optic mounted to the scope angled to the right (I shoot left handed due to the cross dominance/asitgmatism) for close range.

Windy and winding, I know. So bottom line? Good, cost aware, but not totally cheaped out options for conversion? Any real options for a decent pistol grip stock without converting? Any good one stop kits that are recommended? Non threaded flash hider or even brake options?

Edited by Amos Iron Wolf

I know that their is a break for the 308 where you don't have to thread the barrel. Not sure about a flash hider.

http://store.carolin...aiga-308/Detail

The Kvar stocks are really good fixed stocks, Magpul and Vltor stocks are really good collapsible stocks and can be made to fold (Not with the kits available unless you get the basic kit and purchase the stock of your choice), The ACE, DPH, Tromix, and CSS are good skeleton stocks that can be used as either a fixed or folding stock.

Edited by Ethan M

Well, I picked up the Saiga yesterday (had it on hold at my LGS). I've lucked out on the triggers in the past, but this one is as horrible as they are reputed to be. Yeah, conversion coming in the next few months. Then I'll worry about mags/ammo/optics.

Ethan, appreciate the link to the SGM. For that price I think it might just be worth the trouble to put moving the FSB and threading for a FH on the list for future mods. I've decided I'm more interested in flash suppression than recoil reduction.

I understand I have to wait until I pull the FSB to see what the barrel diameter is, but I'm hoping I can go with the 5/8-24 threading without having to shave down the barrel. I'm kinda liking the M60, M14 type FH look, but am also looking at Yankee Hill's .30 cal Phantom.

Any links on here to a thread about flash hiders on the .308 or anyone have any reasonably economical (under $100) favorites?