Reloading Barnaul .410 Shells

The Barnaul Ammunition website states:

"The caliber 12 with steel seamless case has attracted hunters because the case can be used repeatedly and continuously, more than 20 times. . . Barnaul manufactures .410 cartridges with steel seamless cases."

I use Barnaul's .410 slug loads. Flawless performance and accurate. BUT. . . Have any of you actually reloaded these steel shells? As the usual shotshell loading presses/dies are designed for plastic and/or paper hulls, it would seem that trying to use them to reload Barnaul's steel shells might just tear them up. What equipment should be used? Where can it be obtained?

Even as cheap/affordable as they are, I still don't like to keep throwing them away. Also, where can I get the sabots and the sub-caliber slugs for reloading?

So far I have made some tools on my mini lathe to deprime the Barnual 410 cases.

#1- is one of the 410 cases I cut down to get the measurements from.

#2- is a aluminum base with hole through it and a recess to fit the case rim to set the case on when knocking the primer out.

#3- is a turned down steel rod with a off center hole made with a number 60 drill bit. I used #1 to mark the place where to drill the hole so it would line up with the flash holes in the case. I inserted the shank of the #60 drill bit and cut it off where the twist part starts and rounded the end. Used a center punch to stake the drill bit in the hole.

#4- is a turned down steel rod that is used to return the case mouth back to roundness as they get bent when the case hits the ground when ejected.

HOW THEY WORK:

Use the #4 tool to get the case mouth back to round. Set a case on the base(#1) and insert the depriming tool(#2) in the case till it hits the bottom. Then spin it slowly till you feel the pin hit one of the flash holes and it drops in. Then lightly tap it with a hammer. Pick the base up and slide the spent primer out of the way.

966410_Berdan_depriming_tools-med.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yeesh... It's been a week since I decided I would take up reloading 410 shells for my family's Saiga. Reloading data that matches available components is tuff to come by. I WILL not give up until I can come up with some reloadable 'plinking' loads. Anyone here have some 'pet' reloads for the 410?

JA -- 1) My compliments to you on a job well done! I think I may have to forget about trying to reload the Barnaul cases as I am not any sort of machinist and do not have the type of machinery/tooling needed to follow in your footsteps.

2) Also, once you have de-primed the cases, what primers will you use? And where can you get them?

3) What sort of tooling can you use to 'roll' the end of the case back in once you've inserted the powder, etc?

The Barnaul slug loads (the only Barnaul shells I buy) don't use a regular slug but a sub-caliber 'bullet' in a sabot. Are any of these components available here in the US? Cerainly, a 'normal' slug looks like it would be damaged by the roll or lip at the open end of the metal case, hence the need for a sabot.

If I decide to reload, looks like I'll have to get a regular shotshell loading outfit and load up with Brenneke slugs, etc.

Again, JA, my compliments on an excellent job!

The #56 berdan primers can be inserted by hand into the cases. Every other case I have reloaded the primers are a very tight fit and have to be pressed in. I am making a tool with the end shaped like this (

So as to press the edges of the primer into the primer pocket. Hopefully this will cause the sides of the primer to be pressed out into the sides of the primer pocket making it a tight fit.

http://www.grafs.com/shopRegularproducts.cfm/startItem/1

Here is the Russian reloading tools for the Barnual 410 shells.

http://www.prodiz.ru/katalog/katalog6.html

Ballistic Products has 410 slugs.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homep...Slugs/slugs.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Got the word today that PMC is exspecting a shipment of 1 million berdan primers from Russia in July. Along with the .217" large rifle primers will be some .254" large rifle primers which are the size that fits the Barnual 410 shotshells.