Field report: Fist time out after converting

So last fall the gun was stock. Over the winter I got bored and so I made a few mods to it based on what I read here.

The first thing I did was to convert it. Boy was that a lot of fun to do. It takes the mystery out of it when you get to know it as intimately as you do while modifying it. After the convert, I removed the gas block and found that I had a three port gun. I enlarged the ports from 5/64 to 3/32".

Next up was the bolt and carrier. I read the thread on profiling and polishing these parts and decided that I could do the work. I bought a polishing kit for $10 that fits on the Dremel and went to work. I must say it turned out rather nice so I polished the trigger and hammer as well. With all that done, the only things I still wanted to address were gas regulation and recoil. Gas regulation duties are handled by an Tac47 Auto Plug and for the recoil, I added a Molot GK-01 muzzle brake and a Mako shock absorbing butt stock.

I have an MD drum. a 12 Surefire mag and a stock mag. I loaded the drum and fired 5-6 times before I got a fte. I turned the screw in 1/2 turn and had the same happen again after 5 more shots. One more half turn and then it ran flawlessly for the next 200 rounds.

It was great! drum after drum with 100% reliability. Oh I forgot to mention the ammo I was using was wally world bulk pack, some Winchester 00 buck and a few packs of slugs. I mixed ammo just to test the Auto Plug and it worked every time. Recoil was almost as soft as my Bushmaster AR15 and muzzle rise was non-existent.

So for anyone that wants a wonderfully running shotgun, I would recommend the mods I used. They really worked.

• Like 1

I'll never forget that sinking and demoralizing feeling when you take your saiga out for the first time. Everybody is standing around you with great interest and it runs like dog shit....lol. But sounds like you did your homework on this build. Nice job and enjoy!

Congratulations! I was thinking about polishing the friction surfaces of the FCG/Carrier/Bolt only. I don't like that shiny look of a polished carrier. How did your drum run before conversion?

The drum seemed like it would have fte's within the first five rounds I would fire. I guess it would be due to greater spring tension. The gun ran ok otherwise. With stock mags, I would have an fte aprox 25% of the time when I ran wally world ammo but ran fine on high brass.

...I added a Molot GK-01 muzzle brake and a Mako shock absorbing butt stock...

...Recoil was almost as soft as my Bushmaster AR15 and muzzle rise was non-existent....

super_man.gif that is pretty amazing. i don't object to this shotgun's recoil at all; it's pussy cat compared to a pump. but ar15 recoil is outstanding. i wonder how much of that is due to the brake and how much is due to the stock.