Newbie Saiga 7.62 build. A couple of questions...

OK, I think I've searched and read forum and web info as well as watched enough video's to have a pretty good idea what parts I need and how to do a Saiga conversion. Wanted clarification on a couple of things.

I have a new completely original 7.62 Saiga. It test fired wonderfully and I've field stripped it a few times just to get a feel for it.

For my build:

"retaining plate" vs. "hitch pin clips" vs. "shepherds crook" vs. "e-clips"?

I'm a bit confused on this. I know what each of these looks like, but I'm unclear if you use only one of the above, or somehow combine them. As near as I can tell, they all do the same thing and you use only one of the above. Seems like the retaining plates are most popular?

Bullet guide:

I've seen conversion guides that make no mention of this, and several threads where a bullet guide is not required. If I modify the Saiga to accept and use standard AK magazines, what are the chances that the 7.62 will feed properly without the bullet guide? Or should I just go ahead and install the guide before even testing it without it?

Threaded barrel:

I'd like to put a compensator/flash hider on. I see the kits with the dies and the bullet guides (M14x1LH), and understand I will need to remove a portion of the barrel shroud in front of the front sight. I've seen mention of a pipe cutter to do this and a dremel tool. Any recommendations?

Tapco parts:

Eventually I'd like to put on a quality folding stock, nice pistol grip, and maybe a chaos forend, but I'm putting enough money into the Saiga for right now. I was thinking of just getting the Tapco folder/Saw grip, as it's about $35 for the combo instead of hundreds... The Tapco folder seems to get hugely mixed reviews, but I'm thinking it should be o.k for a while until I get to round two. Thoughts?

Billet vs. rolled vs. modified original trigger guard:

Thoughts?

Grips:

Wow. A ton of them! Thinking of the Saw. Or possibly upgrading to Ergo, Houge, or ATI scorpion. Thoughts?

Replacement Gas tube:

Any advantage other than as another US made compliance part and looking more "AK-like"?

Replacement Piston tube:

Any advantage other than as another US made compliance part?

This is my tentative shopping list:

• CSS Conversion kit #3. (tapco folder, saw grip, mod G2 trigger group, angled rolled trigger guard, retaining plate, grip nut, plugs)
  • Bullet guide round trunnion kit
  • Disconnector spring (as an extra and so I don't have to disassemble the original trigger)
  • 3/16 cobalt bit (just to make sure I have a nice sharp bit)
  • Red Jacket slated brake. ($10??)
  • Upgrade grip?
  • Shepherds crook?

Anything I am missing?

Thanks for any input and advice.

By the way, this will put me all in at about $540 for the rifle and build, without a nicer stock or anything on the front handgrips. Yes, I should have picked one up when they were cheaper...

Edited by pfbz

As far as the sheperds hook/retaining plate, really it is your preference. Personally I think the retaining plate is easier. The Sheperds hook isn't that bad to install though either but there are different shapes and styles out there.

The Saw grips are economical, give you a more substantial grip and storage area for small parts, and are basically a pretty decent grip for the price. I eventually switched mine out for US Palm grips on my conversions.

You will most likely need to install the bullet guide on the 7.62 for reliable function with surplus mags. Neither one of the 7.62 conversions that I did would even cyle more than 2 or 3 rounds by hand before jamming and messing up the case on a round without a bullet guide when using surplus mags.

I ordered my Tapco trigger groups from CSS and I think that the disconnector spring was included with the trigger kit if I remember right. I have done seven basic buttstock, trigger group and pistol grip conversions so far, two each of the the smaller calibers and one .308 and I can't remember for sure at the moment, I have slept since then, LOL, but I think everything you need for the trigger group is included, at least in the CSS trigger groups I used. This helps alleviate some issues that apparently affected some Tapco triggers in the past.

Good drill bits are a must, the Saiga steel is quite hard. A good dremel tool is very handy.

As far as the trigger guard, like the grips and pin retainer method, it is up to your personal preference for the particular look that you are going for, if any. I like the Tapco stocks and grips, for economics and function, but I can't say that I personally care much for the look and fit of the tapco intrafuse tri-rail forearms (tried one, just didnt like it). I am sticking with the stock Saiga forearms for now. I have been thinking about trying one of the Carolina Saiga AR style aluminum forearms or something similar to the Midwest Industries/US Palm type railed aluminum forearms. At the moment, I am not caring if my rifles look traditional or not. I am not really trying to make my Saiga's look like an AR either, just the aluminum forearms seem more practical for my intended use of the rifles.

As for the other questions I will leave that for other members to chime in, as I just did the basic conversion only on mine so far. It sounds like you got a pretty good handle on what's needed and what you have to do to get there. Good luck on your conversion, there are lots of people here with good info if you run into any problems in the process.