LaserLyte Target As Training Aid

It's been suggested that "dry firing", drawing the pistol and acquiring a target then pulling the trigger is a good bit of practice in addition to live firing at the range. And also there's the big plus of 0 ammo cost. In looking around at snap caps I ran across the LaserLyte target, read some reviews and watched a vid about how it works.

The concept is simple, using the laser cartridge which inserts into the pistol, hits on the target are displayed briefly and then all hits can be recalled when a small circle below-left the target is hit with the laser. A small circle below right resets or erases all previous hits.

The setup for the target and pistol cartridge is around $200. Initially this seems like a lot of money but how long would it take to shoot $200 worth of ammo? And what is the value of having something that can be used in the home for practice?

Has anyone had experience with this setup?

post-41803-0-97935400-1339341017.jpeg

• Like 1

Nothing replaces recoil of a live round going off.

I just walk around (pistol is safe, unloaded) sight a target and hold for a second,

then move to a new target. When I do shot live fire I start off slow and pick up speed

as time goes by, having recoil and reacquire the target is a learned skill.

That being said I have looked at the system and am thinking about getting one myself.

I think it would good for getting on target for the first shot.

I agree that nothing can replace live fire in the caliber you intend to shoot. I mention caliber because I'm seriously considering getting a 22LR version of my 45ACP. Unless money is no object and you can afford to buy as much practice ammo as you can shoot, compromises have to be made. I'm seeing a benefit in developing muscle memory by drawing, acquiring the target and pulling the trigger at no cost or no recurring cost (ammo).

• Like 1

I'm seeing a benefit in developing muscle memory by drawing, acquiring the target and pulling the trigger at no cost or no recurring cost (ammo).

That is the training I am talking about.

I like the idea.

Is it a direct replacement for live-fire? Nope, but that's not what it's intended for. It's another practice tool, and I think it would be great to have. It's kinda spendy, but like you said, after awhile, it'll end up paying for itself.

I could even see getting "tactical" with this thing. Say you created a stand up frame with thin piece of plywood attached to it. Then glue a silhouette target to the board (Or even better, one of the real photo lifesize targets at the proper height). Cut a hole the size of the LaserLyte in your preferred location and make a way to recess the target and hold it securely.

You go outside the house and have an "accomplice" place the target in random locations so you'd have no idea where it was.

You then proceed to clear the house and when said target is encountered, light it up.

Would this be useful or have I played too many FPS games?

Edited by Squishy