Got a question about MAK 90 stocks.

I recently saw my Dad's MAK 90 that I haven't seen since I was a kid. I was showing him my Saiga 7.62x39 conversion, and he pointed out that the MAK 90 was different than other AK variants because it wouldn't allow the same kind of furniture to be fitted to the rifle as other AK's. I want to get him a stock and forend as a gift to dress up his rifle to a more tactical look. He is old fashioned with lots of wood stock guns and revolvers, but he wants to modernize the MAK 90.

1) What are the differences in the MAK 90 from other AK variants???

2) Also, what are some good options for stocks/forends???

Any help from people with experience on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Well it depends on if it's a milled or stamped with a straight or slant cut reciever.

Milled- you could use a Choate thumbhole or custom fit any wood thumbhole.

Stamped straight- anything will work with some fitting.

Stamped slant cut- Choate thumbhole again. If your creative, you can weld the reciever back into a straight back.

OR visit Ironwood Designs, they make stock sets to fit MAK90's

Edited by akastormi
  • Like 1

akastormi is right on with what he's saying ^ The first thing you need to do is remove the thumbhole stock to determine if you have a straight and slant cut receiver. You should be able to tell if it's milled or stamped without doing this. If it's slant cut your options are limited, if it's stamped and straight cut you can pretty much use anything for AKs. You must remove the stock to tell as it may appear to be slant cut when it's not. Here is how mine looked with the stock on;

post-41803-0-98825900-1340463236_thumb.jpg

Stock removed;

post-41803-0-87557100-1340463268_thumb.jpg

I chose the Hogue foregrip setup from CSS as it allows flexibility in how it's configured. You can have a short rail on either side, on the bottom and on the top or any combination, you can have no rail at all if you wish. Here's the link;

http://store.carolin...-fdsh-74/Detail

I'm not a 922r expert so I'd make sure any alterations are within the law.

• Like 1

Does the MAK 90 accept the same forends as other AK's like the wasr?

I can't speak from experience (with regard to the WASR) but I would assume so. As with most aftermarket accessories manufacturers have to try to come up with something that will work with all the variants so it's not unusual to have to do some fitting. I did have to do some filing on the metal part of the Hogue setup in front but not much. Others might be able to say what has worked for them. Again, I like the Hogue setup as it can have a rail on all 4 sides or no rails at all and any point in between. And it's made of what appears to be the same rubber their pistol grips are made of, I like the feel.

The key is how that receiver is cut. I thought for sure mine was slant cut but it is not. If it's not, you should be able to put any AK stock on it. Another thing is the "collar" that is tacked on the muzzle if it's a post ban gun. I did a lot of reading about this before I decided to get out the Dremel. I saw that some believe that no post ban MAK90 is threaded but mine was. It has 14x1 threads. So I guess it varies.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1