Not understanding the bolt hold open

I'm a little new at this but I've researched my A off. Recently converted my new Saiga 20. Everything was perfect till I tried to insert a full magazine with the bolt held opened. There was alot of resistance so I took the dust cover off to see. I realized then that the bolt was only held partially opened by the hold. The shell looked like it was about to punctured by the prong that grabs it to eject. It's actually way easier for me to just insert it with the bolt fully closed. But that can't compare with the ease of doing it with the bolt fully opened. Anyone know why it was designed like this because to me it's useless? I have to be missing something. My understanding is that on the 12 it holds the bolt fully open?

• 2 weeks later...

First time posting. I had an S12 that did hold the bolt back all the way. I now have an S20 and it only holds it half way open. I'm in the process of doing the conversion, but I ordered a S12 BHO that I'm going to try to put in the S20. The only difference in the two levers seems to be where the lever catches the bolt carrier. I'm not sure if there is any difference in the carriers themselves. Before I try it, I'll look at the carrier in my brother's S12 and compare it to mine. I really want the S20 to hold the bolt all the way open. I'll post the results. I should have the parts Thursday/Friday.

So I installed the modified S12 BHO lever in my S20. It does indeed hold the bolt back further by about 3/4" but it's shorter than the S20 BHO lever so it won't catch until the lever is pushed flush with the bottom of the receiver. I wish it was just a 1/4" longer. I may get a factory S12 BHO lever because I think it's longer.

Yea, my S.308 doesn't hold the bolt back past the top round, which makes it almost useless. I would say it's good for cleaning the bore, but I'm usually doing that with the gun field-stripped anyway. So....maybe it's good at the range...to show that I'm clear.

Thanks for trying the s12 bolt hold. Had I saw the reply a little sooner I could've saved you the trouble. I tried the s12 as well before posting. It's exactly like you said. about 3/8 inch too short where it holds the bolt back. And the lever has to be depressed a little passed flush (mine actually went into the receiver a few times). oh well.