Parkerized Ruger Mk. II mags don't cycle

I had some factory 10-rd Ruger Mark 2 mags that were starting to rust, so I had them parkerized. When I tried the newly-finished mags out, they wouldn't cycle at all. I'm guessing the parkerizing has created too tight of a tolerance inside the mag body, that the spring/follower doesn't want to function smoothly.

What can I do to cause the mags to function like OEM again? Do I need to have the mags refinished some other way besides parkerizing?

Josh

• 8 months later...

My Mini-14 was also stiff when I had it parkerized but after shooting it the tolerances loosened up and it worked as new again. Cycle the magazines using a loading tool to loosen the parkerizing and lubricate them to get them back in working order. Run the follower up and down until it works freely and you take the stiffness out.

This is an easier solution to sanding or sandblasting the magazines.

I learned this from a member at the gun club who was a military armorer when he saw that I was having trouble with my rifle.

Edited by uzitiger
My Mini-14 was also stiff when I had it parkerized but after shooting it the tolerances loosened up and it worked as new again. Cycle the magazines using a loading tool to loosen the parkerizing and lubricate them to get them back in working order. Run the follower up and down until it works freely and you take the stiffness out.

This is an easier solution to sanding or sandblasting the magazines.

I learned this from a member at the gun club who was a military armorer when he saw that I was having trouble with my rifle.

Yes that will work with double stack mags, but the single stack mags

of the mark pistol been than the metal wall of the mags are thing like

paper are really sheety, the best way is go blue and not phos.