JTE Magwell & Cadiz LRBHO combo fail...help please

Hey Guys,

I'm having some issues with my S-12. ...Where to begin? I have an S-12, I have move the trigger group. I have installed the Cadiz LRBHO. The LRBHO was a big pain in the ass to fit into the gun. I have got it working fine I think. I may have shortened the "beak" too much. Using 2-3/4 shells, I think the slide action pushes the shells forward in the mag resulting in the LRBHO catching the slide when there are still shells in the mag. I had to shorten the beak though just to get it to work. Maybe I need to run 3" shells...BUt, This only happens with the JTE magwell installed. When I take it off, it seems to do right. THe magwell has also been a pain. I've had feed issues while cycling. I welded the holes in the receiver and tried to move the magwell forward a bit. This seems to have fixed the the shells feeding crooked but brings me back to the first prob I listed....the LRBHO catching the slide while there are still shells in the mag.

Has any one got these combo of parts to work?

Does this magwell have to be that far forward?

The LRBHO is a must have, for me. The magwell I really want because with out it my foregrip has to be way forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gabe

Well, 26 views and no replies. I've spent a good amount of time reading up the "magwell" situation and think I'm gonna leave it off. I guess I'll just have to keep the foregrip forward and suck it up.wet_eyes.gif What a waste of $100 on the Magwell. (and time) Glad I only shaved down 1 mag.(another $45 wasted) On the bright side I will still be able to use my MD drumgreedy.gif

Sigh, now to re-disassemble my gun and plug weld some more screw holes.

Edited by Gabe

Hey Guys,

I'm having some issues with my S-12. ...Where to begin? I have an S-12, I have move the trigger group. I have installed the Cadiz LRBHO. The LRBHO was a big pain in the ass to fit into the gun. I have got it working fine I think. I may have shortened the "beak" too much. Using 2-3/4 shells, I think the slide action pushes the shells forward in the mag resulting in the LRBHO catching the slide when there are still shells in the mag. I had to shorten the beak though just to get it to work. Maybe I need to run 3" shells...BUt, This only happens with the JTE magwell installed. When I take it off, it seems to do right. THe magwell has also been a pain. I've had feed issues while cycling. I welded the holes in the receiver and tried to move the magwell forward a bit. This seems to have fixed the the shells feeding crooked but brings me back to the first prob I listed....the LRBHO catching the slide while there are still shells in the mag.

Has any one got these combo of parts to work?

Does this magwell have to be that far forward?

The LRBHO is a must have, for me. The magwell I really want because with out it my foregrip has to be way forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gabe

All I can say is I am sorry your having troubles. I have no experiance with Magwells or LRBHO, but I hope you get it fixed up and working well!

You might also trying selling that magwell and modded mag here to make up some of your cash!

Hey dgyver,

I remember when I bought the Cadiz LRBHO it said he would replace 1 for free. Did you make use of that guarantee? I hope I still can, its been over a year since I bought it from CSS. I have been fighting with this gun for a while, I take a notion to work on it and get discouraged, then store it away.

I don't remember if it cycles well with just the Magwell. I think it does cycle by hand, but I doubt I ever fired it.

I'm using SGM 12's. I have 1 shaved down that I used to place the magwell the first time. In that instance, the mag was very loose in every direction. It would jam very easily. The second go around (current position) I put the mag in the gun and slid the magwell over it. I pushed it all the way forward untill the mag didn't move at all. I haven't tried cycling without the LRBHO (im so bent on making that work) I will try after work.

I'll take several photos too and post them.

Does that tak47 take special mags?

Edited by Gabe

Here is a picture of what happens when the slide friction pushes a shell forward of the LRBHO. It goes just slightly out of reach of the LRBHO and then the slide catches. I don't have this problem without the magwell.

gallery_23558_1060_38635.jpg

If you'll notice, I didn't have to notch the mag. This, in my opinion, is a bad way to get this to work. (I've heard of others doing it) The LRBHO already presses down the shell when you insert a mag, notching the mag only makes it worse and makes the slide close when you seat the mag. So I bent the beak upwards and then the tip of it down. The reason I had to bend the tip is so it can clear the shell when ejecting. I had a problem of the LRBHO's beak catching the rim of the shell when ejecting causing quite a pain. I have to drop the mag and manually pull up on the LRBHO lever to clear the stuck shell.

Do you think that I might have cut it too short? (observe the crappy cell photo)

gallery_23558_1060_903117.jpg

Here is a pic of the mag inserted and shell in the right place.

(If only it stayed that way) The beak barely pushes down on the shell.

gallery_23558_1060_784904.jpg

ANd the shaved mag.

gallery_23558_1060_727363.jpg

Here is one from the bottom of the receiver with magwell installed.

gallery_23558_1060_67774.jpg

This trial position 2. The barrel is pointing downward in this pic. !st time I installed it by the instructions and the mag was sooooo loose. So this time I put the mag in and slid the well forward (down in pic) until the mag had no rock to it. This seemed to help the matters over all. It did not solve the problem though.

I'm starting to remember, (its been over a year since I installed the LRBHO) THe decision that led me to remove so much material from the beak was a feed issue. The shell was trying to insert in the chamber while the cap end was still hung under the beak. This made the shell jam into the chamber bound up and the bolt closed down on the side of the shell. I made the beak's angle parallel the shell, thats when I had the problem of the beak catching the rim of the shell upon ejection. So, finally, I decided to remove enough beak so the shell would feed correctly.

The bolt cycles without touching (or just barely) the top of the beak.

Where in the hell are ya'll finding these lrbho's at? I can't find them on Cadiz sight or anywhere. Sorry I hate to high jack your thread but I can't find one and I really want one.

Gabe, you may want to call Tom at Cadiz and have him look at it.

Sounds like you are getting discouraged and I would be too putting that much time into it without success.

Let the old pro fix it. You may only be off by a few thousandths somewhere, the trick is finding it.

Either that, or pull all of that crap off of it and use it as the simple gun it was designed to be. laugh.png

Where in the hell are ya'll finding these lrbho's at? I can't find them on Cadiz sight or anywhere. Sorry I hate to high jack your thread but I can't find one and I really want one.

I know man, I've since been looking for 1 and haven't been able to. CSS used to have them, I bought it from them lil more than a year ago...maybe they've been removed from sale to amateurs like myself. I googled the Tac47 magwell that Dgvyer recommended. It looks pretty cool, but replaces parts I've already bought. I'm going to research it a little more.

Spartacus, I sent an email to Tom today asking if they still offer a mulligan on the LRBHO, waiting on a reply. I'm starting to entertain the idea of letting a professional mod it for me. Whata ya think it'll run$?

Definitely too short. Similar to my first attempt. I had the profile correct but ground it too short. It would lock back after on the 2nd to 3rd round. It was like the cycling vibration would walk the rounds forward just a little... just enough to drop the beak behind the shell.

Looks like the up-curve might be hitting the bolt pushing it down, hence locking the bolt.

Yes I did return for a replacement. I made a sketch of the profile and had the new one fitted in a very short time. They did offer for me to keep mine until I had the new one fitted.

I did notch the back of the LRBHO to lock it in place, eliminating the auto-engagement. Once the mag is inserted, the bolt has to pulled back to release the LRBHO. I do not use the thumb screw, and I changed it to a shorter one. I also hardened the impact area of the bolt, felt the LRBHO was too soft. Another thing, my magazines are notched.

Here is a pic of mine...

th_IMG_20120806_194647.jpg

Spartacus, I sent an email to Tom today asking if they still offer a mulligan on the LRBHO, waiting on a reply. I'm starting to entertain the idea of letting a professional mod it for me. Whata ya think it'll run$?

You'll have to ask Tom the $$ question... he's been very reasonable on quotes for work in the past.

The guy knows what he's doing though. Maybe a few bucks, but you get it done right.

Edit: I think it may have been a mistake to offer the lrbho as a user installed part though.

That's probably why you're not seeing it at CSS any more.

Edited by Spartacus